Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 10:00

CX300 - how to change storage processor IP/subnet/gateway/name

Hi,

I would like to move Clariion CX-300 to another subnet.

Do I need to "destroy security and domain information" from SP /setup page ? If so, what needs to be done to after that to reinitialize the system ?

OR

Can I simply change  IP, subnet, gateway & name  from SP /setup ?

Please provide the steps if possible..I am new to CLARiiON and haven't done this before.

1.5K Posts

April 7th, 2010 12:00

You can change the Storage processor IP, netmask, gateway, name from the setup page - but if you are connecting to the SP from a machine in the network - you 'll loose connectivity once you change the IP address and netmask.

You can modify your machine configuration to match with the new IP network and connect directly to the SP or use the serial connection to setup a PPP connection.

You can download the CLARiiON procedure generator for customers from Powerlink which may provide you some more details.

Regarding the domain security - you need not to destroy the security if you have only one Array in the domain and this CX300 is the domain master. However, if you want to reconfigure the domain or create a new storage domain you can destroy the domain security - it will delete all management user accounts. But there will be no impact on the actual data stored on disks - this will destroy only management information.

After you destroy the security - next time when you connect to the SP, it will prompt you to initialize the security - choose yes and create the new user names with their roles and passwords. You need to choose the domain master in the storage domain as well.

Hope this helps,

Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

April 8th, 2010 01:00

http:spa/setup

Destroy security

Change ip# of SPA

The SPA will reboot

http:spb/setup

Change ip# + peer ip# of SPB

The SPB will reboot

http:spa/setup again

restart management service

This should do it

41 Posts

April 8th, 2010 06:00

Hi Sandip,

Currently I am only abel to ping SP-B.

SP-A has somehow lost its network settings and all the fields under "SP-A > Properties > Network" are empty.  However, when I checked peer SP settigns in

SP-B/setup , I noticed correct IP is listed for SP-A.

How can I resolve this ?

When I directly tried to enter the current network info (name, ip, gateway, subnet mask) to "SP-A > Properties > Network" I got the following warning message

"Changing the IP address while the system is in a domain may corrupt domain's state. We strongly suggest that you cancel this operation and remove this system from domain"

I can see both SP  nodes under "File > Setuo Domain > Configure Domain"  and then I tried to remove it from domain and got another warning message.

"Please note that the node is the current master. Removing the master will result in the destruction of the entire domain, including all global information. If you want to remove the current master node from domain without destroying the domain. please change the master node using the sect master dialog"

I would like to make sure that I can access SP-A/setup page before modifying the new network settings.

Please advice. This array is in the lab environment so I am fine with any type of reconfiguration to fix this.

As you said, I might loose SP connectivity once I change the ip and subnet. AFAIK I will need to open ports 80 and 443 with HTTP. correct ?

4.5K Posts

April 8th, 2010 08:00

Before you make any changes to the array you should have complete communication with both SPA and SPB - ping, setup, etc.

You do not normally need to change the Domain stuff before you make changes to the IP addresses.

glen

41 Posts

April 8th, 2010 08:00

I am not able to ping SP-A and it has lost it's network settings.

When I tried to reboot, it failed with the message "No Connection Exists to The Desired SP"

Once I change the ip address ,subnet etc and reboot SP, will the new settings be automatically updated under File > Setup Domain > Domain Status ?

4.5K Posts

April 8th, 2010 09:00

There is a specific order of steps that you need to follow:

1. Change the IP on SPA and save - this will reboot SPA - new IP for SPA, but SPA still has old IP for SPB

2. Change the IP on SPB and apply - this will reboot SPB - rebooting SPB at this point gives SPB the new IP for SPA

3. Reboot SPA - this is for SPA to get the new IP from SPB

If you can not ping SPA, you need to determine why - did you make any changes in the /setup page? If you did SPA should have rebooted - you should be able to ping SPA using the new IP. You should also be able to ping SPB using the old IP.

glen

41 Posts

April 8th, 2010 10:00

Hi Glen,

I haven't changed anything yet.

Forgot to mention earlier that it's an old array (with SP-A not pingable) that we would like to reconfigure in different subnet.

And I don't know what caused SP-A to loose all its network settings.

SPS-A is faulted but I think that's separate and shouldn't prevent access to the SP.

Correct IP for SP-A is listed under

[1] sp-b/setup - peer ip address

[2] storage system > properties

[3] file > setup domin > domin status

It's only missing from sp-a > properties > network  tab.

Any idea how to resolve this ?

4.5K Posts

April 8th, 2010 12:00

The SPS is routing the power to SPA - if it's faulted it could mean that SPA is not powered up - can you plug SPA directly into power? It wont' protect the write cache, but that's probably already disabled because of the fault on SPS.

On the back of the CX500, you should see the Power and Fault LED - next to the LAN connector - I've attached the Hardwre Ref manual - this may be of help.

You really need to get access to SPA before you can go any further.

glen

1 Attachment

41 Posts

April 9th, 2010 08:00

Glen,

Checked LED on the back of SP-A and it's green.

I've also plugged SP-A directly into the power but that didn't change anything.(still not pingable)

I also noticed ( File > Setup Domain > Configure Domain > Selected Systems > Node Information) that the host name for each SP is identical and may be that's causing the problem

Can I [1] remove both nodes from domain, [2] enter ip,name,subnet for SP-A under sp > properties > network [3] rejoin it to the domain it was in prior ?

looks like SP-A needs to be reinitialized ?

4.5K Posts

April 9th, 2010 08:00

Try connecting with a cross over cable driectly to SPA and see if you can ping. If you can ping, the try going to the /setup page and see what the settings are - do the same for SPB - the names should be different.

To change the names you must use the /setup page - I believe the SP will reboot when you APPLY changes to the name/IP/subnet/gateway

glen

41 Posts

April 12th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Glen,

What is the procedure to setup a PPP connection from laptop to the clariion SP ?

Do I need to follow all the requirements given in "Initialization Guide" for a service laptop ?

I couldn't find the serial cable that was shipped with this system. Per Emc, they use the customized cables for their products.
Can I use any serial 9-pin cable ?

41 Posts

April 12th, 2010 11:00

It's mentioned in the Emc CLARiiON CX300, CX 500 and CX 700 Initialization Guide that, "Only for CX500 customers will need the RJ45/DB9 serial adapter"

I don't have that so I just used regular 9-pin null modem cable and followed these steps (emc 234675)

Select Start -> Settings -> Network connections -> New connection wizard

1. When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.
  2. Select "Set up and advanced connection" ->Next->" Connect directly to another computer" button and click Next.
  3. Click the Guest button.
  4. Click Next.  Name the connection (whatever you would like), Click Next.
  5. On the Select a Device pull down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM1) or select COM2 if the cable is connected to COM2 and click Next.
  6. On Connection Availability window, select "Anyone's use."
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click Finish.
  9. The Connect dialog box with the name that you assigned to it displays (prompting with user name and password fields).
  10. Click the Properties button.
  11. In the Properties dialog box under the General tab make sure COM1 or COM2 (if connected to it) and click the Configure button (enable hardware flow control should be checked).
  12. In the Modem Configuration dialog box click the Maximum Speed pull down menu and select 115200 bps. Click OK to close the Modem Configuration dialog box.  

If prompted for flow control..Flow Control: None (verify that Autodetect and ANSI are selected for terminal emulation)

** Flow control is hardware, and data bits is 8, Parity None, Stop bits 1...This is for HyperTerminal 

Note:  Verify that the computer or Service Laptop is correctly configured to receive the IP address from the FC4700 array. Click the Networking tab of the Properties dialog box, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.  Under the General tab verify that the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically buttons are both selected.  Click Cancel to back out of that menu or click OK to accept any changes that you have made.

13. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
  14. In the User name field enter the following: clariion.
  15. In the Password field enter the following: clariion!.

I completed all the steps but got an error at the end.

"Error code: 777: The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order"

Any idea ?

4.5K Posts

Sorry, I looked in our lab and I looked at the CX300i - this uses the RJ-45 serial port connector. The CX300 does use the DB-9 and should be a standard null modem 25 to 9 pin connector.

This is the procedure that I have - have not used this for a couple of years

============================

The service laptop COM port modem type must be set to Dial-Up Networking Serial Cable between 2 PCs.  This is the most flexible modem type, and allows either a NULL modem cable or actual modem to connect to the laptop and SP.  Instructions for setting up Dial-Up Networking between 2 PCs follow below.

If the laptop uses a physical modem, configure the modem for the line characteristics of the SP, as follows:

Line characteristic

Setting

Data bits

Parity

None

Stop bits

Baud rate

115200 baud

The selected baud rate should be the highest speed at which the service laptop can reliably connect to the SPs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If Communication cable between two computers is not installed and set up, install it and set it up as follows:

a.         Follow the path Start ® Settings ® Control Panel ® Phone and Modem Options.

b.         If your laptop has a modem, then under the Modems tab, note below which port your current modem is using and click Add.

port _______________

c.         Select Don't Detect my Modem; I will select it from a list and click Next.

d.         In the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard dialog box that appears, select (Standard Modem Types) under the Manufacturers column.

e.         Under the Models column, select Communication cable between two computers and click Next.

f.           Under the list On which ports do you want to install it?, click Selected Ports and highlight a port which is not used by the installed modem (whose port you noted above).

NOTE:  The default is COM 1.

g.         Click Next.

h.         On the next screen, click Finish.

Click OK. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set Up Dial-Up Networking:

a.         Follow the path:  Start ® Settings ® Control Panel ® Network and Dial Up Connections ® Make New Connection.

b.         When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.

c.         Click Connect directly to another computer and click Next.

d.         Select Guest and click Next.

e.         In the Select a Device pull-down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM 1) or select COM 2 if the cable is connected to COM 2.  Click Next.

f.           In the Connection Availability dialog box, select Create this connection: For all users and click Next.

g.         In the Completing Network Connection Wizard dialog box, assign the connection a name (for example, CX700init) and click Finish.

h.         In the Connect dialog box that appears (with the name you assigned to it), click Properties. 

i.           Under the General tab in the Properties dialog box, click Configure.

j.           In the Modem Configuration dialog box, select 115200 bps from the Maximum Speed pull-down list.  Verify that the Enable hardware flow control is checked.

k.         Click OK to close the dialog box.

l.           Click the Networking tab.

PPP: Windows 95/98/NT 4/2000, Internet should appear in the Type of dial-up server I am calling list.

m.       Click Settings.

n.         Verify that Enable LCP extensions and Enable software compression are checked, then click OK.

o.         Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

p.         Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

q.         Click Advanced.  Verify that Use IP header compression is checked.  Deselect Use default gateway on remote network. 

r.           Click OK three times to return to the Connect dialog box.

Click Cancel to close the Connect dialog box.  You will enter a username and password when you initialize the storage system at the customer site.

glen

--------------------------------

4.5K Posts

The serial cable for the CX300 (and CX500) is a special RJ-45 to DB9 - part number is 118-032349

Serial_cable_cx500.bmp

For the laptop, yes you need to follow the directions for "Setup_a_PPP_connection_on_a_Service_laptop"

glen

41 Posts

April 13th, 2010 08:00

Glen,

I keep gettting error :777

Error code: 777: The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order

What could be the problem ?

Do you know any other method ?

Thanks in advance..

No Events found!