Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2013 19:00

CX4-120 Reserved Space

Hi, I'm currently taking over the maintenance of small scale project using CX4-120 as it's SAN. It has 11x 300GB 15K HDD. 5 is used in a RAID 5 group and 1 as hot spare. The first 5 disks are not used at all. I was informed by the previous team that the first 5 disks contain the reserved space used by the host software, and not to use any of it. I went through the manual and found the mentioning of 62GB reserved space for each of the first 5 disks, but didn't find any clue or indication in Navisphere 6, the raw space available on all 11 disks is 268GB each before formatting.

Is it true that I can't use any or all of the first 5 disks? And since I can't see the reserved space, will I destroy the SAN or it's host software by creating a storage group in the first 5 disks? Will Navisphere prevent any potential mistake if there is?

Any answer or hints or direction to where I can find more information is all helpful. Thank you.

812 Posts

November 4th, 2013 20:00

While creating an RG across the vault drives ( first five disks ) the space you will be getting out of them will be lesser than any other 5 disks ( of same capacity ).
For a better idea on the vault drive contents refer CLARiiON VAULT Disk Contents and Vaulting Operations

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

812 Posts

Hi,

You can create RAID GROUP and LUNs across the first five disks. But it is

always recommended not to use these disks for response-time sensitive

applications. Creating RAID GROUP will not destroy the FLARE OE or other

system information saved in it.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2013 20:00

Thanks, that' s helpful. What about the space, I see all 11 disks having the same amount of free space. The reserved space doesn't seems to take up any space?

No Events found!