Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 24th, 2014 06:00

CX4-120 service console

Hi all,

We need to make a PPP connection to a SP CX4-120 processor. It should be made thru the RJ45 peer service port or by micro DB9 service console connector?

Thanks in advance

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Please try referring to the link mentioned below:

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-8449

Thanks

Jyothi

128 Posts

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Hi Jyothi,

I've seen this document before, but it have nothing about physical connection.

Regards

4K Posts

February 25th, 2014 00:00

You should connect the cable to DB9 service console to establish a PPP connection:

15-02-2012+1-21-26+PM.png

128 Posts

February 25th, 2014 03:00

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your help, but these is not the rear panel of CX4-120. I'm referring to:

CX4-120_rear.png

There are a RJ45 service port and a micro DB9. Which one?

Regards

4K Posts

February 25th, 2014 17:00

Micro DB9.

BTW, if you want to access the SP through the Service LAN port (RJ45), below are the default IP addresses:

SPA: 128.221.1.250 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248

SPB: 128.221.1.251 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248

128 Posts

February 26th, 2014 09:00

Thank you, Roger. I know these IP's. Do you know another procedure to reset the admin password? Other than PPP connection?

Regards

4K Posts

February 26th, 2014 17:00

PPP is the only way if you forgot the password.

Please mark our answers as correct/helpful answer if they help. Thanks.

4 Posts

March 27th, 2014 05:00

Hi could you reset username and password?

128 Posts

April 1st, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Not yet, PPP connection is not working. I've trying with a lot of cables and adapters without success.

Regards

4 Posts

April 1st, 2014 06:00

Yes I could reset it, you have to use micro DB9 to DB9 EMC console cable, and I completed;

To establish the PPP connection:
For Windows 2000/XP
a)      Follow the path:  Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Dial UpConnections -> Make New Connection.
b)      When the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next to begin.
c)       Click Connect directly to another computer and click Next.
d)      Select Guest and click Next.
Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient
Generated by Jive on 2014-03-27-07:00
e)      In the Select a Device pull-down menu, select Communications between two computers (COM 1) or select COM 2 if the cable is connected to COM 2.  Click Next.
f)       In the Connection Availability dialog box, select Create this connection: For all users and click Next.
g)      In the Completing Network Connection Wizard dialog box, assign the connection a name (for example, CX700init) and click Finish.
h)      In the Connect dialog box that appears (with the name you assigned to it), click Properties.
i)        Under the General tab in the Properties dialog box, click Configure.
j)        In the Modem Configuration dialog box, select 115200 bps from the Maximum Speed pull-down list.  Verify that the Enable hardware flow control is checked.
k)      Click OK to close the dialog box. Then Click the Networking tab. PPP: Windows 95/98/ NT 4/2000, Internet should appear in the Type of dial-up server I am calling list.
l)        Click Settings. Then verify that Enable LCP extensions and Enable software compression are checked, thenclick OK.
m)    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
n)      Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
o)      Click Advanced.  Verify that Use IP header compression is checked.  Deselect Use default gateway on remote network.
p)      Click OK three times to return to the Connect dialog box.
q)      Click Cancel to close the Connect dialog box.  You will enter a username and password when you initialize the storage system.

Then;

Next, to set up the PPP connection

a)      Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network and sharing center, click Set up a new connection or network (at the bottom).

b)      On the next screen, select set up a dial-up connection and click Next.

c)       The next screen should list modems and select the “Communications cable between two computers” you created above.

d)      On the next screen enter  phone number and username and password (clariionand clariion!) and give it a name.

e)      The above connection should now appear in Network Connections, right-click it and select Properties.

Once the connection is set up, modify the settings as follows

Three suggestions to make the support and maintenance process for CLARiiON/VNX more efficient

a)      In the General tab, click configure and set Max speed to 115200 and select enable hardware flow control.

b)      In the Options tab, click PPP settings and check top two boxes are selected (LCP extensions and SW compression). c)       In the Security tab, check Data Encryption is “Optional Encryption (connect even if no encryption)" is set.

d)      In the Networking tab, check Internet Protocol Version 4 is selected.

e)      In the Networking tab, choose Internet Protocol Properties, then the Advanced button. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network."

Your connection can then be accessed from Network Connections

2.       Get the current IP address

Once the PPP connection is established, point your browser to http://192.168.1.1/setup, You can see the management IP of both SPs:

3.       Change admin account password a)      Still the “setup” page, click on “Create a New Account”

b)      Enter the new admin account name and password c)       Click on “Restart Management Server” to let the new account take effect

Note: This procedure must be performed on both Storage Processors to be effective.

these steps on a virtual XP,

128 Posts

April 1st, 2014 06:00

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've used that procedure to generate a PPP connection, but I havent response from both SP's. I dont know why, I've still investigate it....

Regards

128 Posts

April 1st, 2014 07:00

I dont remember the error number. OS Windows 7, and I've tried all ports.

4 Posts

April 1st, 2014 07:00

did you receive error 777?

1.what is your OS ?

2.did you tried other mng port?

4 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 02:00

did you enter phone number when configuring PPP connection?

128 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 05:00

No, empty

No Events found!