Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2011 02:00

CX500 SPS "Cabling Status is Unknown"

Hi all,

Sorry that my first post on this forum has to be a question, but I inherited a SAN CX500 from my predecessor, and I am clueless. When I look at the status of the device using Navisphere, I note that both the Standby Power Supplies come up with the error message "Cabling Status is Unknown".

Everything seems to work just fine, but this, along with the "amber eyesore" on the front of the unit has me a little concerned.Any suggestiions as to what it might be, or where I can start digging?

I checked to make sure all the cables feeding the units have power, checked connections, etc. but to no avail.

I attach a screenshot of what I see, hoping it will help.

Thanks in advance

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 28th, 2011 02:00

could be bad cable, could be bug in the flare code ..have you contacted support ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 28th, 2011 03:00

yes . If this is really the cables then i imagine if you were to lose power, SPS can't send commands to SP to initiate graceful power down. Could be that your SPS batteries are toast and need to be swapped out. You could try re-seating the cables from SPS to SPs but how likely is that both cables went bad at the same time.

11 Posts

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it.

I will log a call with our vendor and see what they recommend.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

11 Posts

Thanks for the reply. What does this mean though? Does it mean that the Standby PS units won't work should they need to? Or is it simply the monitoring part that's "buggy"? Is there anything I can try before contacting our vendor?

4.5K Posts

September 28th, 2011 09:00

is the status for both the SPA and SPB SPS listed as cable fault? From each one of the SPS units, there is a sense cable that goes from the SPS to one of the SP's in the back of the rack - check these cables to see that they are connected - the SPS is the unit that has the rack power going into the unit and two cables coming out to the SP's above it. The SPS also have fault lights  - if the battery is good, the lite should be green. It may be that the SPS are bad.

glen

11 Posts

September 28th, 2011 23:00

Thanks Glen. the little light in the back are all amber... I suppose that should have been my first clue ;-)

4.5K Posts

September 29th, 2011 10:00

I've pasted the litesSPS_lites.bmp

2 Posts

November 14th, 2011 14:00

I am having the same issue on my CX300. But it is only faulted on SPS B.SPS_CX300_11-14-2011 3-57-34 PM.jpg

I have an SPS like in the image Glen posted above. Green light is on solid. I unplugged sense line and the entire SPS faulted (both) Plugged back in, amber light flashed for a bit on the SPS, then went solid green.

Fault still shows in Navisphere. There is only a single SPS under this shelf. I am not sure where the A/B comes into play. The sense line is only plugged into the "A" side of the array.

There is no Amber light on the front of the unit.

Do not know what is wrong, but this just happened recently.

4.5K Posts

November 25th, 2011 11:00

There were some configurations of the CX300 and CX200 that came with only one SPS - the fault will always be on for the SPS that is missing.

glen

13 Posts

November 28th, 2011 07:00

I have the same issue with both SPSs, I have reseated cables but nothing, write cache has become disable.

1 Attachment

4.5K Posts

November 28th, 2011 13:00

If you right click on the SPS and select Properties or status, what does it tell you?

glen

13 Posts

November 29th, 2011 06:00

It says: "Cabling Status is Unknown".

SPS B initially appeared as the only faulted. When I used the communication cable fromo SPS A in SPS B to test that is not cable problem and after I put the two cables as they were initially both SPS appeared as faulted.

4.5K Posts

November 30th, 2011 14:00

It's possible that both SPS units are bad or that there is somthing wrong with the sense cables. MY suggestion is to open a case wtih EMC - they may need to try replacing the cabls first, then the SPS.

glen

13 Posts

December 19th, 2011 05:00

After restarting the SP A the faulted messages disappeared on both SPS's. The storage is now working well.

4.5K Posts

December 19th, 2011 07:00

Please remember to mark this thread as answered - it will help others when looking for similar issues and that you have found the solution. Thanks for updating with your solution.

glen

No Events found!