Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2014 13:00

Can hot spares be unbinded and use as an independent LUN

I am in the process of testing adding a LUN to a Mac server connected to the Clariion and only have 3 drives that have been configured as hot spares. My question is if those hot spares can be unbinded and re-use as an independent LUN and attach to Macserver.

Clariion Hot Spares.JPG.jpg

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

existing raid groups are completely full, you can't create a small LUN just for this purpose ?

16 Posts

This only a test that I’m running just to make sure that the volume is seen and added unto the Mac server. We will carve out a LUN from another enclosure and assigned it to just the Mac server, so this is just a test.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

you can, if you are willing to go without hot spares ? Do you really want to do that ?

What are you going to do with a single drive ? Yes, you can present to your host (raid group type "Disk) but at that point you don't care about the data if that drives fails ?

16 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 14:00

I didn’t think that was possible. We have some RAID groups that are not completely full but are part of a host. I have attached a list of all the RAID groups, that I why I just wanted to use a single drive to test. Let me know how I can go about it.

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2014 14:00

not exactly. You combine physical disks into raid groups. Then you carve out LUNs out of those raid groups, LUNs can be presented to multiple hosts. So there is nothing stopping you from taking a raid group and creating a couple of LUNs and present them to an exchange box, and create a couple more LUNs and present them to a file server. You have to keep performance consideration in the back of your mind (can those physical disks support the workload) but from functionality perspective it's fully supported.

4.5K Posts

July 24th, 2014 10:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!