Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2009 22:00

Cannot Destroy Unowned LUNs

Hello Everyone!

I'm having problems with our CX500. We just got it back from a demo and i would just like to clean-up everything for the next demo. by the way, i'm not involved during the previous demo so i don't know what they did to the machine. i've made screenshots below... hope you can help me. Thank you!

From Navishpere, we can see 3 LUNs, 1, 21 and 25.

1.jpg

Deleting the LUNs will say it is used by a feature of the storage system.

2.jpg

I've entered engineering mode and from ~physical folder, we can see the LUNs.

3.jpg

Removing the LUNs from ~physical will say the error below:

4.jpg

Below is the screenshot of the LUN's properties... No current owner.

5.jpg

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

November 27th, 2009 01:00

Paflores, welcome to the forum ! Make sure you write something cool about yourself in the coffeebreak

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

November 27th, 2009 01:00

I think I've seen this before. You can try to assign the other SP to each LUN and press apply and then assign the original SP to each LUN again. Hope this helps.

2.1K Posts

November 27th, 2009 11:00

As soon as I see those messages about "being used by a feature of the operating system" I starting thinking SnapView and MirrorView. Check to make sure this LUN isn't being used by anything else in the array.

Also, not sure if this is relevant, but I notice on the properties dialog the LUN shows "Current State: Faulted" Do you know what is causing this? It might be related.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

November 30th, 2009 00:00

Could it be that you suffered from a dual drive failure and therefore have data loss on those LUN's ?

16 Posts

November 30th, 2009 02:00

Hi,

Looking at the screen shot your LUN is attached to a storage group 1.

You need to remove from storage group 1 before you can destroy a LUN.

Right Click on the storage group and select LUN.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

November 30th, 2009 02:00

You are right ! It's incredible that nobody noticed that

2.1K Posts

November 30th, 2009 07:00

OK, I feel a bit sheepish too... I even had to look carefully to see what you were talking about. The really confusing part is that there is another screen clearly indicating that the same three LUNs are not in a storage group. That's what I was focusing on.

4.5K Posts

November 30th, 2009 13:00

You need to determine why the LUNs are unowned first - you can not perform any actions on an unowned LUN. Unowned means that neither SPA nor SPB owns the LUN currently.

The only LUNs you normally would see in the Unowned LUNs folder would be the Hot Spares.

glen

2 Posts

November 30th, 2009 17:00

hello everyone!

@RRR: i've already tried assigning the LUNs to either SPA or SPB with no success.
will do the coffeebreak... thank you!

@Allen Ward: you are right, the machine is previously used for SnapView and MirrorView demo and is not in production.

Since the demo is finished, the disks are already removed thus the faulted state. Only the Vault Drives remain. Data stored is not important.

@Jay: Tried removing the LUN from the storage group and yes it is removed but still can't destroy it in RAID group.

I've contacted my local EMC friend about this and he told me that the problem here is that the "clean-up" was not done properly and i should do this via NaviCLI and look for the process in Snapview which is still owning the process.

will update you on what happens next. =) thank you!

1 Message

November 30th, 2009 18:00

Hi paflores

Please erase my name in the future. Thanks!

Regards

Maria

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 30th, 2009 21:00

erase your name from where ?

2.2K Posts

December 1st, 2009 08:00

Since the demo is finished, the disks are already removed thus the faulted state. Only the Vault Drives remain. Data stored is not important.

So you removed the disks from the array that comprised the RAID Group that hosted the LUN? And now you are trying to destroy the LUN? That may be the problem. I have never tried that before, removing the disks before destroying the LUN hosted on the disks, and it looks like the FLARE code does not let you do that.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

December 1st, 2009 12:00

> Since the demo is finished, the disks are already removed thus the faulted state.

> Only the Vault Drives remain. Data stored is not important.

Ah..... I would have do the cleaning up before removing the actual disks. Not that you can do anything about that at this point, but in a future clean-up action you might want to do it this way

2.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 06:00

Now things make a bit more sense...   an important piece of information that we all made assumptions about ;-)

I guess that just goes to show us... never make assumptions!

1 Message

May 22nd, 2010 10:00

Hello all,

Sorry for the lengthy message, but there are a lot of details to convey here. It seems that I have run into a problem nearly identical to the one Paflores described. I have a single unkillable LUN on a CX500. This array is being repurposed, and I was trying to remove all LUNs and other configuration from the system when I found this one that is untouchable. I get the same message about "being used by a feature of the storage system" when I try to unbind it. If I try to trespass it, I get "Transfer of ownership of a LUN failed (0x40008059)". If I click "Bring LUN online", it says "One or more of the selected LUNs can not be brought on line, contact your Service provider". I would have contacted my service provider by now, but this array is out of warranty, and I don't want to spend money to fix what appears to be a bug in the system.

I believe that Mirrorview caused the problem with this LUN. It was previously being mirrored with another array. I had a similar problem with two or three other LUNs, but was able to fix the others with the naviseccli command "mirror -async -setfeature -off -lun #". When I use that command on this LUN, it doesn't remove the SnapView drivers "K10RollBackAdmin" and "K10SnapCopyAdmin" that are listed with "getlun -messner # -stack". It seems like nothing can remove them.

The only thing that is clearly different from Paflores' problem is that my array doesn't have SnapView enabled. It is licensed, but the enabler was never installed on the array. I wonder if that is stopping me from manually removing a hidden snapshot that MirrorView may have created. Unfortunately there is no way that I can enable SnapView to find out, because the NST rule check fails on the Unowned LUNs rule, as the bad LUN is unowned and I can't get either SP to take ownership. It's quite a catch-22.

So here are some specific questions that I had:

Is there any way to bypass the Unowned LUNs rule check so I can enable SnapView? The NDU command with the -force switch doesn't do it.

Is there any way to manipulate a snapshot created by MirrorView if SnapView isn't enabled?

Is it possible to reset the FLARE database and clear all configuration information without killing the system?

Does anyone have a copy of EMCRemote that I could get? I think I've tried everything that a mere mortal can try, but touching the OS itself would provide a lot more options.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

No Events found!