Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2008 21:00

Change current owner of a LUN

Hi,

All LUNs are currently owned by SPB. I have manually changed the default owner to SPA for half the luns. How can I change current ownership? I would like to place half of them on SPA a.s.a.p.

cheers

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

April 9th, 2008 23:00

You have to right click on the LUN and do Trespas to change the current ownership.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

April 10th, 2008 01:00

Easy question, easy answer.

385 Posts

April 10th, 2008 05:00

Not a requirement, but I'd recommend changing the "default SP" on the LUNs you plan on moving as well as just trespassing them to avoid any confusion or "false trespassed LUN" reports down the road if this is a permenant change.

To do this you need to right-click on the LUN, select Properties on the LUN, and then change the "Default Owner" to the new SP. You will still need to run the trespass command to move the LUN, but now reports will show correctly.

One other caveat - depending on your OS and access method to the SAN you may need to do some work on host end to toggle which device you are using.

An example - if you are using HP-UX without PowerPath and only PV links you would need to change the device access ordering with LVM to control which path to the LUN is getting access. Ditto for VMWare. Other OSes that use PowerPath will co-operate with changing from the Clariion side :)

410 Posts

also need to make sure that the host HBAs are registered correctly and have their arraycommpath/failover settings set correctly as per host failover software being used on the host...

if this is not set correctly, the host may not be able to access the lun after its trespassed.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

Ditto for VMWare

Clariion / VMware: VMware uses MRU, so tresspassing will work just fine I guess. The fixed setting isn't supported on Clariion, only on DMX ;)

74 Posts

April 10th, 2008 12:00

Thanks to all of you. That is easy enough. Will get back to you if something goes wrong ;-)
No Events found!