Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2012 14:00

Data migration from CX300 to VNX5300 using SAN Copy push method

Does anyone performed data migration from CX300 to VNX5300 using SAN Copy push method?

I installed SAN Copy/E enabler on my CX300, and I finished all steps from the document "Migrating data from an EMC Clariion array to a VNX platform using san copy". Problem is in Step 6, when SAN Copy connections port should be connected to storage group on VNX. Even if SAN copy initiator are visible under Hosts -> Connectivity Status -> SAN Copy initiators, on VNX, when I try to add ports to storage group, there is no san copy system, that can be selected. Attached pictures show this problem. Can somebody help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Milan

2 Attachments

May 8th, 2012 19:00

I encountered this exact issue in the field a while ago.  Believe it or not, having the word "Clariion" in the name of the source array (CX and CX3) will cause the exact issue you are experiencing.  Thank you for pasting the screenshots as this helped me remember this; without the screenshots I may have just skimmed the thread and possibly ignored it.

This is documented in a Primus article:

emc145058: "SAN Copy initiators do not show up in Storage Group."

Change the name of the source array (System Properties -> on the General Tab -> Name) and click on "Update SAN Copy Connections" on the CX.  If it doesn't update (and/or you still can't add them to the Storage Group), you may need to deregister the paths first in "Connectivity Status" and then click on "Update the SAN Copy Connections" again, but try first without deregistering.

4.5K Posts

May 8th, 2012 15:00

Check on the VNX side - I believe San Copy on VNX comes with the array. See if it is enabled. With San Copy/E I believe both arrays must have San Copy enabled.

System Porperties / Software - you should see -San Copy with a dash in the front - that means it's enabled.

glen

2 Posts

May 9th, 2012 02:00

Hi Christopher,

thank you very much for your answer. And fortunately, you were right. CX300 name was Clariion,3.jpg

and I changed it to cxold. After this, I perform "Update SAN Copy Connections". Imidiately after, I was able to assign SAN Copy initiators to Storage Group on VNX.

Now I started data migration.

I had some problem during SAN Copy Wizard. I was not able to Select Destination Storage. VNX was not available.

This was when I try to do this with Navisphere on CX300. Then, I started USM session in VNX, and because I configure multidomain feature on VNX with CX300  added as a gateway, I choose in USM CX300, and started SAN Copy wizard from them. Now destination storage VNX was visible, and I created all san copy sessions.

Again, thank you very much, you save me a lot of time.

Br,

Milan

May 9th, 2012 07:00

Milan,

Firstly, I just realized that this was your first post, and I wanted to welcome you to the forums and to, more importantly, thank you for obviously being a (repeat) EMC customer!

That is great news; thanks for keeping us informed of your progress!  For others that may stumble upon this thread, I was actually able to tell from your original screenshots that the source array was named "CLARiiON", and this conjured up memories from when I had encountered this in the field a few years ago.  At the time, I of course, looked at everything but the name as the culprit.  Doubting myself, I probably tore down and recreated the sessions at least 3 times before I finally found the KB article.

In the original screenshot, there was actually one subtle (but very important) clue as to the culprit.

registration.jpg

As the designated SAN Copy Host, allowing you to perform the incremental copy, the CX300 SP ports in this relationsihp should be running as (host) initiators logging into the target VNX ports.  In the screenshot, the "HBA Type" for the initiator records of the CX300 shoud be "Host" and not "Array".  As you've now seen, there is a bug if the source array (CX or CX3) has "Clariion" in the name (case insensitive) causing it to incorrectly register as HBA Type: "Array".

No Events found!