Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2008 16:00

Difference between Distributed and Centralized Monitoring?

Currently, we are using distributed monitoring for our storage arrays.

A fellow suggests using centralized monitoring - To set up a host and download Clariion Server Management software from Powerlink free of charge.

We would like to know what is the benefit for centralized monitoring and is it worthwhile ?

Thanks

1.5K Posts

November 21st, 2008 07:00

Hi Tony,

You need to download and install "Navisphere OffArray Management server" and "Navisphere OffArray UI" to build the Windows Management Station for Centralized monitoring.

You are trying to use Navisphere Server Utility - which is a subset or alternate for Navisphere Agent. If Navi agent is already installed - there is no need to install the Server utility - in fact as you have noticed , you can not do so.

So, please get the correct software for Windows Management Station - if you having difficulty in finding the same - you may get in touch with EMC Support or your CE to help.

Thanks,
Sandip

15 Posts

November 20th, 2008 00:00

Centralised monitoring has the following advantages (among others):
- It is easier to debug any monitoring problems
- There is then a workstation setup with all the necessary tools, if a Webex session is ever requires
- Alerts will still be sent out if connectivity to both SP is lost

However, I have always advocated using both Centralized and Distributed monitoring. I recommend having the EMC Dial-home template, which is specific to each CLARiiON's Release level, on the centralised server. However, you can still have a custom template to generate customer email alerts (but not to EMC), for distributed monitoring. In that way, if the centralized server were to fail, alerts would still go out and the lack of any EMC dial-home would be quickly noticed.

388 Posts

November 20th, 2008 15:00

Thank you for your advice.

Can I download the server management software from Powerlink ? Is it free of charge or I have to ask DELL engineer (We purchase the Storage Array from DELL) to set it up for us ?

2.2K Posts

November 20th, 2008 15:00

You can download it from Powerlink, and install it and configure it yourself. It is pretty easy. Just look in the Navisphere downloads and the documentation sections for the details.

388 Posts

November 20th, 2008 22:00

I have downloaded the Navisphere Server Utility from PowerLink.

When I attempt to install on a Host, it says that Navisphere Host Agent should not be installed.

I would like to know
1) Is there any harm if I remove the Host Agent ?
2) Is there any reason they don't co-exist ?

Thanks

2.2K Posts

November 21st, 2008 07:00

Sorry for not being more specific on what to download Tony. Thanks for helping out Sandip :D
No Events found!