Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 19th, 2011 05:00

Distance between server and Clariion

Friends,

Can you please let me know what can be maximum distance between server  and a clariion .through Fiber Channel (FC) network.

Do we need to allocate port buffers accordingly.

Thanks

91 Posts

July 19th, 2011 23:00

Hi

Current EMC CLARiiON/VNX doesn't support long wave SFP so you should use FC switches

I've heard there is some HBA which support LW SFP but it's not good idea to have pair of dark fibre per each host to connect them to remote storage.

The best way to connect storages and host with 3.5 miles distance is to use two stretch FC fabric each consists of two FC switches on each side

The swithes in stretch FC fabric are connected to each other by using ISLs over dark fibre

On Brocade switches use portcfglongdistance to configure BB credits on ISLs and portbuffershow to check if that amount of BB credits is enough

Best regards,

Alex

91 Posts

July 19th, 2011 11:00

Hello

Usually you shouldn't care about BB credits within same data center.

Default amount of BB credit is enough for servers, FC switches and storage boxes connected with short wave technology.

Best regards,

Alex

36 Posts

July 19th, 2011 23:00

Hi ,

the distance between the host and the storage is 3.5 miles    and the dedicated link speed is 2Gbps , so do we need to provide additional BB credits on switches , will that be fine , how much minimum distance  latency is supported by clariion and the servers seperated 3.5 miles apart  ,and if we provide the BB credits required for 3.5 Miles would the BB credit be sufficient to support the minimum latency required in the link.

Thanks  a bunch!

36 Posts

July 20th, 2011 00:00

Thanks a lot for the information

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 20th, 2011 03:00

multimode fiber running at 2G - maximum length up to 500 meters

1.3K Posts

August 30th, 2011 17:00

also `spinfab` to test ISL in CLI. This wont up/down link , but generate a lot of traffic which may produce congestion on tested links

August 31st, 2011 21:00

I simply wanted make mention of the document that answers questions such as this.

Document:

Available from PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

"Cable selection for CLARiiON switch models"

No Events found!