Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2010 11:00

Expand MetaLUN Partition

I have recently opened up some free space on my Clariion CX300 and have added my available LUN to a MetaLUN.  The Server I am using this MetaLUN on is Windows Server 2003.  How would I go about expanding the partition to take advantage of the new space?  The LUN shows up on the server fine and it registers in Disk Management as unallocated space.  I need to keep the existing data on the MetaLUN.  I just need to add to it.

261 Posts

July 15th, 2010 08:00

In this particular instance this not may not apply, but before expanding a lun you need to be aware of the maximum sizes that the OS can see. While it is possible to create a single lun using all of the space in your array, it most likely cannot be seen by a host. I have seen where customers have an existing lun and expanded it well beyond what the OS can see, which makes a very bad situation.

Seeing your host sees the space as unallocated, your probably fine. Just posting this for other forum readers to consider before expanding.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2010 11:00

Are you familiar with “diskpart” utility. Search this forum/PowerLink for diskpart for instructions on how to extend windows partition.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2010 12:00

Please follow the document http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590 to extend the disk using diskpart.

29 Posts

July 13th, 2010 15:00

Just a few limitation about diskpart utility - it does not work for system volume. Also you can't extend it if system page file is in that partition. By any chance, if you are trying to increase system volume, you will probably need to look at other third-party tools. 

No Events found!