Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2011 05:00

Host Agent Not Reachable or connection registered manually or with Unisphere Server Utility

I have a Windows 2008R2 Cluster that keeps going back to "unmanaged".  I know all the initiators are connected properly.  What is happening though is that the host initiators keeps losing my cluster nodes primary static IP address and it picking up the "Microsoft Failover Virtual Cluster" adaptor.  I have the laatest agents on the clustered nodes.  Does anyone have any idea to get this to stop?  I did go into "advanced mode in on the server and checked the bindings and they are correct.  I dont even see the failover virtual adaptor in the Adaptor Settings on the server anyways.  Anyone?

1K Posts

October 10th, 2011 05:00

Try this. Go into "C:\Program Files\EMC\Navisphere Agent" and create a agentid.txt file. On the first line enter the FQN of the host and on the second line enter the host's IP address.

81 Posts

October 10th, 2011 06:00

I will try that now and let you know that happens.

1K Posts

October 10th, 2011 07:00

Sounds good. The directory might not be Navisphere Agent but instead Unisphere Agent. I can't recall the exact directory name but wherever the agent is installed that's where you need to create the agentid.txt file

81 Posts

Ernes,   great advice, it works like a charm.  So I guess there is a pointer to that agenid.txt file if exists?  How does that work?

1K Posts

You only need to create the agentid.txt file if the host has two or more IPs. There is no such thing as a hidden agentid.txt file because the agent will register the host by using the hostname and the IP address.

When a host has multiple IPs the agent sometimes gets confused which IP to use and that's when you come across the issue you described above. If you create the agentid.txt file the agent will always use the info inside that file to register the host. If you ever change the hostname or IP make sure you edit that file and restart the agent and you should be good.

October 19th, 2011 23:00

"If you ever change the hostname or..."

If the user only needs to define the specific IP to be used for the host registration and subsequent out-of-band communication for a multihomed host and not override the hostname, you can leave the first line blank.  A blank line just informs the agent to gather the FQDN from the OS.  An example of what would be sent in a Windows environment would be exactly as shown under (as if the agentID.txt didn't exist):

Right Click "My Computer" -> Properties -> Computer Name -> "Full Computer Name"

Therefore, if the hostname should change in the future, then there is no need to remember to update the agentID.txt file and just a restart of the agent, but of course renaming a host in Windows requires a reboot anyway.  If you use this example, your agentID.txt file would have 3 lines (note the CR/LF after the IP) as follows:

Personally the only time I ever add the hostname has been to override the case of the lettering as shown under "Full Computer Name".  This is purely cosmetic of course.

4.5K Posts

October 20th, 2011 14:00

For more information about Nvaisphere Host Agent see Knowledgebase article emc254967. For the issue that you're seeing see emc62479 and emc234729 (this may be the one for your issue).

glen

No Events found!