Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2011 13:00

How to Defrag RAID Group - Flare 28

I have been searching most of the day through Powerlink and various blogs and EMC documents, but haven't been able to find an answer to this. All I need to do is defrag one particular RAID group because the largest contiguous space is not large enough. If I right-click on the RAID Group, I do not have an option to defrag. The only option I have is within properties to change the defragmentation speed. I have found countless forum posts and docs that reference defragmentation, but none of them seem to explain exactly how you can do it manually. Can someone please give the specific steps or point to a document that outlines them? I appreciate it.

542 Posts

February 24th, 2011 15:00

I have seen this issue before and it was a GUI problem.  Try logging out and back in.  If that doesnt fix it, you might need to restart the management server on each SP

4.5K Posts

February 24th, 2011 13:00

Right-click on Raid Group name, select Partitions tab - see button in lower right - Defragment

removed screen cap - didn't work

glen

86 Posts

February 24th, 2011 14:00

I've read the exact same thing, but when I right-click and go to properties, I do not have a "Partitions" tab. I only have  General & Disks.

February 24th, 2011 16:00

After you try what was proposed by kenn2347, and for whatever reason you still can't get it to show up, and there is an urgent need to get this started maybe consider the navi(sec)cli command while you continue to troubleshoot the GUI:

navi(sec)cli -h chgrg -defrag [-pri high|medium|low]

Then to monitor the progress of the process (maybe consider running this before you start the defrag just to make sure there isn't already one running).

navi(sec)cli -h getrg -prcntdf

Keep in mind, if it is a RAID6 raid group, you can't defragment that; however, that doesn't explain why the it is not visible as it still should show the "Partitions" tab, but the option to defragment would only be greyed out.

81 Posts

October 11th, 2013 06:00

How do I monitor the progress of DEFRAG in the gui of unisphere?

October 12th, 2013 09:00

After you initiated it on an eligible (traditional) RAID Group, from the RAID Group "Properties", on the "General" tab you will see the following:

1) Additional State Information

Should show:

a) "The RAID Group is defragmenting"

b) "The RAID Group is transitioning"

2) "Percent Defragmented"

Then, when completed you will see the above state reflected as such and Percent Defragmented: 100%.  Also you will see (what likely prompted you to kick it off in the first place):

a) On the "Partitions" tab, all of the "Bound space" is now contiguous

c) On the "General" tab, "Largest Contiguous Free Space" = "Free Capacity"

4.5K Posts

October 15th, 2013 13:00

Just another though, if you're using Navisphere GUI and you start up, if you see a security warning for JAVA, click NO or Cancel on the warning. Newer JAVA versions 1.6.20 and higher have compatibility issues with some older versions of Navisphere - 26/28 flare code I know are affected by this. If you click Yes, then some of the tabs in Navisphere will not display.

glen

86 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 06:00

Sorry for the slow response. This is a really old thread, but I do appreciate the feedback! If I remember correctly, this was due to a GUI problem. Good ol' Java. Thanks again for the suggestions.

4.5K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 13:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!