Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2010 15:00

How to Replace Failed SPS CX300

I have a Clarrion CX300 that recently started reporting a failed SPS.  I see the orange light on the back of the unit and I can see the failed SPS in Navisphere.  The unit is well out of warranty but is still very important to my company.  How do I go about changing it out and what part number should I look for?  Also, where should I puchase one of these from?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 1st, 2010 08:00

there are 3rd party vendors that can provide these parts, they are not endorsed by EMC so you are at their mercy. Like these guys

http://www.sysmaint.com/Default.aspx

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 30th, 2010 16:00

i would contact your EMC team about putting this unit on "time and material". This way you can continue getting support from EMC, get correct parts ..instead of buying parts from 3rd party or Ebay.

21 Posts

July 1st, 2010 06:00

If I was to find one on ebay for a reasonable price, would changing out the SPS be as simple as unplugging the old one, physically removing it and plugging the new one in?

261 Posts

July 1st, 2010 07:00

The write cache should re-enable once the SPS is fully charged and tested. The SPS will have a single green light at that point. To check the write cache, righ-click the array, hit properties, and go to the cache tab. In there is the checkbox.

21 Posts

The part number on the failed SPS is 118031985.

21 Posts

Ok, thanks.  It appears that the unit has already disabled write caching on its own.  When I do swap the SPS out, how to I re-enable WC?  Is this somewhere in Navisphere?

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

- Disable the write cache

- Shut down the SPS that died

- Replace it with a new one

- Power up the new SPS

- Enable the write cache

Why should you disable write cache ?

Suppose you don't disable the WC and the only SPS that's working also dies, the whole Clariion will shut down, because there's no power anymore. Any data left in write cache will then be lost. If you disable WC all data is directly written to disk and should a Clariion die, there's no data which isn't written to disk !

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

you were slightly faster than me

21 Posts

Wow, you guys are good.  Thank you so much.  Any ideas on where would be the best place to get one of these units?

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

Right click on the serial number of the Clariion in Navisphere and choose properties, then go to the CACHE tab and check whether or not write cache is on or not and enable it if needed (it should come online by itself though). If you aren't sure whether or not it's really on again, you can also type the following on the command line:

navicli -h -user -password getcache

or

naviseccli -h -user -password -scope 0 getcache

scope 0 = local, scope 2 = LDAP

No Events found!