Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2014 12:00

How to recover lost Storage Groups on a CX3-80?

Long story short...

A Storage Administrator, thinking they were disabling a user's access, went into Engineering Mode and Disabled Access Logix.

At that point all Hosts were unregistered, All LUNs were moved to SG ~physical, All Storage Groups were deleted.

Access Control was then re-enabled but none of the Storage Groups are there and all of the Hosts are unregistered.

Aside from manually re-registering all the hosts and re-creating the storage groups, is there a way to recover the Storage Groups or Restore the Config?

Thank you for your time and assistance,

Scott

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

do you have any latest SPCollects for that array ? Maybe support can get the XML files out of that and rebuild the SG ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

something that could be used with naviseccli -h arrayconfig command

3 Posts

Yes, I have the SPCollects from 60 Hours prior to the "Disable Access Logix" and I have the SPCollects from a few minutes after the "Enable Access Control".

We are on support with EMC but it is very quiet, also the CX3 went End-of-Life back in March 2014 so I am not sure how much they may help us or what extra it might cost.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 15th, 2014 13:00

EOSL hardware ..hmm, you might way a very long time to hear "I am sorry we can't help you".

in the mean time i would unzip the SPCollect file, look for APM00000000000_SPB_xxxxxxxxxxx_sus.zip file. Unzip that file as well and then open SPB_navi_getall.txt file. That should give you all the information you need to put this thing back together.  Depends how big this box was, some content from this file could be parsed and put in a script but it might be faster just to use it as a reference.

3 Posts

July 16th, 2014 09:00

Support did not offer a way to restore the config and only offered to script rebuilding the Storage Groups.  We ended up rebuilding them our self from the SPCollects, I scripted most of actions through naviseccli.  Took about 8 hours to re-create the storage groups, re-assign the LUNs to the SGs, re-register the hosts and then re-add the hosts to the SGs.

Most of the time was spent confirming hosts, volumes and databases once they were re-attached.  Caveats were the Old AIX boxes did not like the LUNs attached in a different order than before.  So it was very important to pay attention to the HLU order or the LVMs would not mount.

Besides being a very long 17 hour day, no data was lost so that seems like a small victory in my book.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2014 09:00

now the storage admin who disabled access logix should buy you a bottle of nice wine (if he is still employed  there )

No Events found!