Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2011 23:00

How to size centralized storage solution

Hi...

Since I am new to storage, I would request your kind help in determining points to be taken care while sizing centralised storage solution for eg..clarion.

My contention area is :

1.How much Bandwidth is required from servers to storage: how do i calculate this? This will help me in identifying whether I need to go with iSCSI or FC and justifying the same.

2. What combination of disks, I should have in my storage appliance i terms of High speed FC, SAS or SATA or SSD.

Assuming that I have 5 applications/services...ms exchange, SAP, AD, DNS, DHCP and would eventually virtualize these applications on vmware using two small servers. No. of users can be taken as around 150.

I need to justify the criteria of designing strorage solution in terms of what bandwidth will be required between servers and stirage devices as well as selection of disks inside the proposed central storage device.

Request you to help me in understanding the criteria behind selecting appropiate clarion solution in terms of points mentioned above.

(Note: I do have prouduct idea about clarion)

WIth Best Regards & thanks in advance

408 Posts

March 1st, 2011 05:00

Good morning -

This sounds like a production environment you are dealing with.  I'm going to move this thread to the support forums so you get the right level of response to this.

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Debi

244 Posts

March 1st, 2011 13:00

Hi,

I've moved you question the CLARiiON Support Forum where it should receive prompt attention. Thanks!

4.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 10:00

Please see the following two Best Practice documents:

EMC CLARiiON Performance and Availability Release 30 Firmware Update Applied Best Practices.pdf

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h5773-clariion-best-practices-performance-availability-wp.pdf

EMC CLARiiON Storage System Fundamentals for Performance and Availability

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H1049_emc_clariion_fibre_channel_storage_fundamentals_ldv.pdf

glen

No Events found!