Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2008 08:00

Looking for a how to guide on creating snap copies

I am looking for a how to guide on creating snap copies on a CX700. I have the new luns created but I need to know how to add the new luns as snaps?

16 Posts

January 10th, 2008 08:00

Suggest that you look for the following documents available in the
Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ S ~ Documentation > SnapView

There you find the SNAPView documentation.

Linus

32 Posts

January 10th, 2008 09:00

We had professional services come out and setup the first snap. When we attempted to setup and second snap we couldn't because we maxed out the number of luns the array could handle (because of older flare code), now with the new flare code the array can handle more. I wrote all the scripts on the server side but professional servies did the work on the array so I figured I would give it a shot.

2.2K Posts

January 10th, 2008 09:00

The guide that Linus referenced will spell out the details. If you are on FLARE 24 or later though, the Snapview guide is part of the online help for Navisphere.

You will also need the Snapview enabler installed on the array to allow you to use snaps and clones. If you have not purchased it and had it installed by your vendor then you will not be able to use Snapview.

32 Posts

January 10th, 2008 10:00

Thanks for the documentation. Here's my question. I have luns 500 thru 552 setup. The first snap copy we setup luns 1500 thru 1552 and for the second snap we setup luns 2500 thru 2552. In NaviManager if I go to SnapView > Clones I see luns 500 thru 552. From there I can see Lun 500 is cloned to 1500 and so on. Do I just right click on Lun 500 and then click on add clone and then start with 2500? Your help is greatly appreciated.

2.2K Posts

January 10th, 2008 15:00

To clarify, you are just using clones at this point right? Snapview is the technology and you can create snapshots or clones using Snapview. Just asking since you use the term "snap" a lot in your description.

And yes, you are correct. The Add Clone wizard will walk you through adding a clone to an already defined clone group. You will only be able to select LUNs that meet the eligibility requirements for the source LUN you want to clone. You will also be set the Synchronization Rate during the setup of the clone and start an initial sync in the wizard or manually start the sync at a time of your choosing.
No Events found!