Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2009 00:00

Mix disk sizes on same tray

We're currently running a CX320 and a CX310, and have previoulsy been told that we are unable to mix SATA and FC disks in the same tray, and that is also the case for the actual disks sizes too? But i've now heard that you can in fact mix different disk sizes on the same tray, is this true?

Cheers

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 7th, 2009 00:00

FC and SATA cannot be mixed. Although the disks fit, mixing FC and SATA is not supported and won't work.

Mixing sizes however is no problem ! Just go ahead and put some 300GB's next to the existing 146's :)

August 7th, 2009 01:00

Right said by my Guru RRR ;), Mixing of FC and SATA wont go. But if you are mixing drive size in a raidgroup then only the lower size from each disk will be taken in. e.g. If there are multiple drives in RG with 146 n 300 G, then only 146G of the 300Gig drives will be usable. Same goes with speed as well,, mixing of 10k with 15k will lower the 15k to work at 10k rpm.

physically mixing drives in DAE will have no issues.

RRR can surely confirm me on this..he's the rock start of forums!! :D

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 7th, 2009 01:00

Right, I thought the principle of building RAID Groups was obvious, so I didn't mention that ;)
About the mixing speeds I disagree since a 15k disk won't spin down at all ! The spindel rotates at 15k RPM and that it's. You will of course get a lower performance than a pure 15k Raid Group if you mix 10k and 15k drives.

August 7th, 2009 02:00

Thanks for the clarifying my thoughts.. cos i always thought the RG will work on a lower drive speed if having mixed speed drives.

Tr1gger,

I hope you are new to the forums, can we know abt your work profile and interests in our coffee break??

this will surely help us to share the knoweledge we carry.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 7th, 2009 02:00

The disks won't spin down, but performance will be impacted.
No Events found!