Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 15th, 2008 11:00

Need to find a way to force array utilization lower

I've run into problems where the pre-flight check will not pass due to high array utilization. This is an array shared by many disparate resources, most of which I have no control over. It is in need of a FLARE upgrade to resolve some annoying bugs and I'm looking for any recommendations on how to force utilization lower.

One thought was to use NQM, create an IO policy and knock ALL LUNS to under a given total number of IOs.

TIA

James

133 Posts

July 15th, 2008 13:00

James,

I assume that you are using NST... It is "only" bothered about the IO on the FLARE spindles. In most cases a single RAID-5 RG covers the first five (5) spindles. Hence you need to drive down the IO on the LUNs on those spindles...

Obviously you will want to do your upgrade during a quiet period anyway.

I hope this helps
Carl

142 Posts

July 16th, 2008 00:00

Interesting. I am also preparing a FLARE upgrade (since several months...). I have just added some DAE so I have space available and I could migrate LUNs from the first Raid Group to new disks. Is it advised ?

142 Posts

July 16th, 2008 01:00

Hi Rob,
So I am going to migrate luns But leaving 5 disks empty is quite expensive ! I think I will re-use them after the upgrade.
My NDU is from 22 to 26.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 16th, 2008 01:00

It would indeed seem so ;)
Furthermore: if you upgrade from F19 to 26, you need more free space on the Vault drives since F26 needs more space....
What we do nowadays is to install a Clariion with the smallest drives possible in the first 5 positions and then leave them empty for any future Flare upgrades.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 16th, 2008 02:00

Re-use them with LUN's with modest I/O, like a fileserver or something or to store your precious ISO's or VMware templates ;)

But if you need to empty them for extra space, I'm not sure of since F22 / 26 don't differ (much) I think. Better ask your CE if extra space is needed if you go from 22 to 26.

2.2K Posts

July 17th, 2008 08:00

Carl,
I don't think that is the only checks it performs. Remember that during a FLARE upgrade the SPs will reboot one at a time so the CPU utilization on each SP needs to be below 50% to ensure that one SP can host all the i/o and disks during a reboot of the peer SP.

Aran

133 Posts

July 18th, 2008 04:00

Aran,

OK very valid point! The checks are obviously there for valid reasons. I should have formulated my answer more carefully as the original question was to find ways to force array utilization lower.

I shall stand corrected
Carl

2.2K Posts

July 18th, 2008 08:00

Or sit :-) , I find it hard to type standing...

But yes the question itself is a tough one. Without some cooperation from the administrators of the applications hosted on the array it will be difficult to minimize the utilization of the array.

James,
Do you not have a maintenance schedule for systems in your infrastructure? A FLARE upgrade while usually non-disruptive does have the potential to impact not only i/o but there is the possibility of an actual outage if something goes wrong.

FLARE upgrades should be done during low i/o periods after full backups of all the systems on the array. Because the SPs reboot during the upgrade write caching will be disabled for most of the upgrade process which will seriously impact the performance of the array.

Aran

238 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 21:00

Furthermore: if you upgrade from F19 to 26, you need
more free space on the Vault drives since F26 needs
more space....

R26 does not require more reserved space than R19.
There are differences in reserved space size, but it is platform dependent (depends on array type), not FLARE revision specific.
For example; a CX700 will require/use the same amount of reserved space, independent of whether it is running R16, R19, R24, or R26.
A CX3-series array requires/uses a larger reserved space - this is true independent of whether it is running R22, R24, or R26.

Regards,
DGM

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 24th, 2008 01:00

I must say I've never did an upgrade myself, but that you mention it, the extra space I was thinking about might have to do with an upgrade from CX to CX3. In that perspective my answer as well as yours makes sence ;)

238 Posts

July 24th, 2008 11:00

Yes, an upgrade ("platform conversion") of a CX-series array to become a CX3-series array, would involve making sure there is enough space available on drives/LUN in the vault locations, to accept the change in reserved space size.

Regards,
DGM

13 Posts

July 25th, 2008 04:00

We have scheduled maintenance windows but getting my customers to co-operate is something less that difficult to say the least even with weeks of prior notice.

We are very much aware of the possibility of something going wrong and the performance impacts of cache disable during reboots, customers seem to tolerate that pretty well.

I may resort to rate limiting I/O in the fabric to the array in question not that I want to do that

J

2.2K Posts

July 25th, 2008 07:00

I haven't played around with Navisphere QoS so I don't know if that will achieve the desired results. You could at least try it out on a few hosts to see if it works for your goal before implementing it on all hosts for the upgrade.

Have you looked at Analyzer to see if there is any time during the day/week that the array is at a lower level of utilization?

131 Posts

December 16th, 2009 12:00

NQM Is pretty nice but still needs some work IMO.

It's hard to manage multiple things at one.  If you've got a few problem areas, then it's pretty good.  I think it would be a pain to configure for your whole array.

I got NQM to manage some of our new Sun servers.  They push writes too fast (super fast servers) and fill up cache to 99% with anything fewer than like 60 spindles (RAID10) for a LUN.  NQM let me limit the IO of those LUNs so that the disks could keep up.

No Events found!