Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2010 09:00

Problem expanding LUN

I am trying to create a LUN using the free space in two separate RAID 5 RAID groups.  I created a 1391GB LUN from the free space in raid group 1 and a 586GB LUN from the free space in raid group 0.  When I try to expand the 1391GB LUN, the only time I see the available LUN to add is when I choose the concatenation option--the free LUN is not listed when I choose striping.

It has been a while since I set this system up, so I am probably just missing something.  Any suggestions?

Here are system particulars in case they are needed:

system:  CX3-40f

flare version:  6.26

drive types:  300GB FC

Server:  Windows 2003, SP2

2.2K Posts

Concatenation is your only option there. If you want to create a striped metaLUN the LUNs have to be the same size, RAID type, and disk type.

727 Posts

For more details, you can also check the 'White Paper EMC CLARiiON MetaLUNs - A Detailed Review.pdf' document at https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-6357.

18 Posts

thanks.  I knew I was missing something simple.  If I really wanted to stripe the LUNs, another option would be to create two 586GB LUNs out of the 1391GB free space and then combine all three together, right?

1.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2010 11:00

It is not recommended to have the component LUNs of a Meta LUN on the same RAID Group. So ideally speaking you should not create two 586 GB LUNs on the same RAID group to form the Striped Meta. You may create on 586 GB on 1st RAID Group and another 586 GB on the second RAID Group and then stripe them to form the Meta - assuming the Two RAID groups are having same type of configuration.

Anyway - the document suggested by "Avi" ('White Paper EMC CLARiiON MetaLUNs - A Detailed Review")  will provide you all the details and guidelines. Also, you may refer to the "EMC CLARiiON Best Practices for Fiber Channel Storage" - for appropriate version of the Flare code you are running. You may find this document in the Powerlink or in the Support Forum Documents section  - https://community.emc.com/community/support/clariion?view=documents

Thanks,
Sandip

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 5th, 2010 03:00

Correct, allthough Sandip is right, you shouldn't create a striped meta when components are on the same RG.

No Events found!