Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2014 16:00

Proper steps for replacing FC with SATA drives without rebooting

We currently have an EMC Clariion CX3-20 that we outgrew. We bought this system since 2005 and now we're capped out. We are being forced to swap the 500gb FC drives with 1TB SATA drives to double up our storage. I ran into a bind where i unbinded LUNS on our second enclosure from the bottom up and getting them ready to swap out the drives. I couldn't replace the entire enclosure since it would break the daisy chain, so i tried swapping drives but i've been told that the system won't recognize the drives until i reboot the whole system. This is running our virtual cluster, main production file server and Exchange 2007 cluster. Are there any other options i may have? if not, what are the correct steps for doing so. Keep in mind that i had already swapped some drives, can i put the old drives back in the enclosure and would it recognize them? Please help.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 18th, 2014 19:00

so you have emptied the entire enclosure ? Does your system meet minimum flare version to support these drives ?

https://support.emc.com/docu32282_CX3-UltraScale-Series-Storage-Systems-Disk-and-FLARE-OE-Matrix.pdf?language=en_US

114 Posts

July 19th, 2014 08:00

I have swapped drives on my CX4s with no problems no reboot required. You cannot have SATA and FC in the same DAE.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 20th, 2014 20:00

so what happens today when you pop a drive in, it's not recognized ? I remember there was a restriction in terms of bus speed, if you were going to add a DAE that was only 2G capable, then every single enclosure on that bus had to be changed to 2G and that required SP reboot.

16 Posts

Well I didn't actually run into this situation until now. Before we capped out at 8 enclosures (120 disks) I was just adding enclosures to the same bus and daisy chaining them together. The original shelf unit CX3-20 came with only 3 enclosures. All on Bus0/Enclosure1 and so on. My steps for adding additional one were...mounted enclosure, added all the drives (which we were going with SATA "much cheaper", per upper management), then changing the dip setting in the back of the unit to the next number in the order..example (Bus0/enclosure1, Bus0/enclosure2 and so on, then I would daisy chain them with rest. Not until we started outgrowing the storage and instead of investing in something newer or better we want to utilize what we have by swapping all the enclosures with 500gb and replacing them with 1TB SATA drives. Hope this sheds a bit more light. Thanks for taking the time.

16 Posts

Thank you for your response. I am not mixing drives in the enclosure. As I pulled all FC and swapped them with SATAII drives; however, they are not being recognized by the system. I am trying to find an alternative to rebooting the whole system. Just wondering what my options are?

16 Posts

Thanks for your response Dynamox. To answer your question, yes.. I have removed all the FC hard drives and swapped them out with SATA drives. Before I did that I went ahead and freed up the enclosure which had those drives by unbinding the LUNS, deleting the Storage group and swapping them with the SATA. These drives are part of Enclosure 1/Bus 0. Just checked and the Flare revision is 3.22.20.5.508 and to confirm its a CX3-20 system. We also have 4 other enclosures with SATAII drives. Let me know your suggestions.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 21st, 2014 04:00

what is the part number of the drive and the DAE in question ?

16 Posts

July 21st, 2014 09:00

The DAE is a DAE3P and the part number for the drive is EMC PN#005049542 / SN#FC300133350989 520 BPS. photo 1.JPG.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 21st, 2014 10:00

thanks, do you have the part # of the FC drives you removed ?

16 Posts

July 21st, 2014 13:00

Here is the part number for the 146Gb FC drive PN#005048619 Rev A07 / SN#SAN00063520678 520 BPS.

EMC-fc drives1.JPG.jpgEMC-fc drives2.JPG.jpg

4.5K Posts

July 21st, 2014 14:00

Both the 1TB disks and the 146GB disks are 4Gb FC speed.

For the 1TB disks you need flare versions:

03.24.xxx.4.014

03.26.xxx.5.005

If the speed of bus is set to 2GB because of slower disks in another DAE, once the 1TB disks are installed you'll have to reboot the array to get the speed set to the slower speed.

glen

16 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 10:00

Does the reboot of the array entail to shutting all our resources connected the the Clariion CX3-20 prior to the array reboot? So i take it the drives are not hot-swappable and switching from FC to SATA drives on the same enclosure wont work until the array reboot. Do you know how long is the reboot process and where i could find step-by-step procedures for the reboot. We haven't rebooted the system since it was purchased and that's been since 2006. Also, if i put the old FC drives back on the enclosure in question, would i need to still reboot the array or is there another alternative to getting to those drives to come up? I see this steps under enclosure properties can any of this help?

Emc enclosure properties.JPG.jpg

July 23rd, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Even rebooting the array would not fix your problem.

As you can see in your screenshot, your DAE 0_1 is reporting [DAE3P ; FC] , subsequent DAE are reporting [DAE3P; SATAII] . This mode is initialized when the DAE first detects the drive type that has been inserted.

You can not change from one mode to the other simply by removing all FC drives and adding SATA in them.

You'd need to make the enclosure disappear totally from the configuration, powercycle it and re-add it again with SATA drives.

In your case it's tricky because it's not the last enclosure in your configuration.

No Events found!