Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2010 22:00

Question on how to automount LUN thru /etc/fstab

Hi,

I have SuSE Linux hosts mounting LUNs from an old CX700 thru PowerPath 4.5 for internal database application. Currently, I have to manually mount the LUNs according to the device name, after confirming the LUN <> device name mapping ie. LUN01 <> /dev/emcpowera1. Only after issuing "powermt display dev=all" and gather the info, I'd then issue "mount /dev/emcpowera1 /mnt1" and so on. This is because every time after reboot, the mapping will be changed ie. LUN01 is no longer mounting to /dev/emcpowera1, thus I can't hard code them in /etc/fstab to automatically mount the LUNs during host reboot.

I'm not sure if this is related to bugs in the old PowerPath, but I'd appreciate if anyone can share his/her experience and any workaround avail.

Thanks.

31 Posts

January 5th, 2010 04:00

If those LUNs are part of LVM/VG then yo should not have this issue. The alternate option is to label (e2label) the disk or partition and update the fstab so that label will be read on reboot.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 5th, 2010 05:00

that is definitely not normal behavior, PowerPath devices should stay consistent between reboots. Try running "powermt save" and reboot the box again, if power devices still change their names ..something is wrong with that version of PowerPath.
No Events found!