Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 7th, 2009 04:00

Rebooting SPA and Private LUN's

I want to reboot SPA. so before the reboot I am planning to trespass all luns owned by SPA to SPB.

these are the LUN's under Private LUN's

RLP free
RLP Allocated
Clone Private LU

so when i trespass SPA does the LUN's under the Private LUN also tresspass to SPB.
will this create any trouble to snap shots or Clone's owned by SPA.

to tresspass all LUN of SPA to SB I issue

navicli -h trespass all

to reboot

navicli -h rebootsp -o

now I want to bring back the lun's which is trespassed to SPB.

I cannot use trespass mine option or trespass lun xx option because we have clone and clone source luns[private LUN's]

now How will I bring back the trespassed LUN to default owner.

Thanks
HuLk

217 Posts

October 7th, 2009 10:00

if I dont do an tress pass but a reboot will the luns come back to default after reboot.?

4.5K Posts

October 7th, 2009 11:00

You're best bet is to allow the hosts to handle the trespassing. Say that all the mirror source LUNs are owned by SPA and SPA dies (or reboots). The mirrors will "system fracture" because SPA is now dead, but the hosts have failover software installed and configured correctly and tested to work. When the host sees that SPA is now dead, it will trespass the LUNs to SPB, the mirrors that were fractured now can see the secondary image and will start back up. When SPA finishes rebooting, the host failover software will see that the path has been restored and will trespass the LUNs that have a default owner of SPA back to SPA. This the same for snaps.

You could manually trespass the LUNs before the reboot, then you would need to trespass the LUNs back after the reboot.

The exception is VMWare - - there is no failback as yet unless you're running PowerPath.

This is a good way to test your failover policy for all hosts - in a controlled way.

glen
No Events found!