Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 6th, 2012 03:00

Recover Unowned LUN

I have a Dell badged CX-300, unfortunately now out of warranty. It has a LUN which has gone into unowned state and I am trying to recover it back to ownership by either SP. I get the error message: LUN 2 - Transfer of ownership of a LUN failed (0x40008059) when attempting to trespass the LUN. I have searched similar discussions on the ECN but none of the other scenarios seem to quite match.

The CX-300 is composed of a FC DPE and a SATA DAE as Enclosure 1. The unowned LUN is on the DAE.

There are NO faults on the CX-300. All lights are green, all disks are active. It is possible, however, that the LUN went into the unowned state as a consequence of the DAE being temporarily connected to another DPE as a result of server rack restructure.

Any clues on how to recover the LUN into an owned state would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

812 Posts

December 6th, 2012 03:00

Can you put a snap of the LUN properties here ? If 'the array is operating normally' , only hotspare disks should be unowned I think.

6 Posts

December 6th, 2012 04:00

It is not possible to include a screen shot at this time (I'll try to get one on later), but here is a fragment of the NaviCLI getlun output.

The LUN is right in there with the Hot Spares.

I also notice I get a '0x951 CRU Signature error' for each drive on the DAE during SP startup...

Name                        LUN 2
Minimum latency reads N/A

RAID Type:                  RAID6
RAIDGroup ID:               1
State:                      Bound
Stripe Crossing:            0
Element Size:               128
Current owner:              Unknown
Offset:                     0
Auto-trespass:              DISABLED
Auto-assign:                DISABLED
Write cache:                ENABLED
Read cache:                 ENABLED
Idle Threshold:             0
Idle Delay Time:            20
Write Aside Size:           2048
Default Owner:              SP B
Rebuild Priority:           High
Verify Priority:            Medium
Prct Reads Forced Flushed:  0
Prct Writes Forced Flushed: 0
Prct Rebuilt:               100
Prct Bound:                 100
LUN Capacity(Megabytes):    5634820
LUN Capacity(Blocks):       11540112384

6 Posts

I would like to recover the data from LUN2 if at all possible. RG1 is entirely on the DAE. There is a LUN on the DPE but this contains no data and can be unbound if need be.

Mark

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:37 PM GMT Standard Time

To: Mark Blinkhorn

Subject: New message: "Recover Unowned LUN"

EMC Community Network

Re: Recover Unowned LUN

created by Vipin V.K in CLARiiON Support Forum - View the full discussion

812 Posts

Is there any data in the LUN ?

Disks in the RAID Group 1 span across the DAE and DPE  (RG 1 is made of disks from both the enclosures) ?

6 Posts

December 10th, 2012 01:00

Hmm. I guess from the absence of any further response to this that it will not be possible to recover any data.

I will have to move into the recycle phase. Pity. Thanks for your response so far.

247 Posts

December 10th, 2012 06:00

Mark, if it is critical data your best bet would be to contact EMC (or Dell in this case). I think we're all at a loss on how to proceed here.. I sure am

Usually you can get a LUN online again by rightclicking it and selecting "Bring Online" or anything. If that doesn't work, it's "dumpster diving in the event log"-time...

I'm also unsure what happens when you attach a DAE full of drives to another DPE. If you remove and reinsert a single drive in a DAE, it's empty for sure. But for a complete DAE to be attached to a different storage system... I'm not sure...

Best of luck!

6 Posts

December 10th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Jon. I tried 'Bring Online' with no luck so I guess the cause is lost, but now we do know what happens when you attach a DAE full of drives to another DPE - .

The other DPE had a DAE with the same identity. The disks on that DAE were all unconfigured - and now the disks on this DAE are all as good as unconfigured.

Thanks all for your input.

Mark

474 Posts

December 10th, 2012 09:00

If you haven’t tried it yet, power down the entire array, ensure all DPE/DAE loop connections are correct, power on the DAE’s first and ensure their enclosure ID’s are correct, then power up the array. If the LUN went unowned as a result of a loop issue or enclosure ID conflict, it could bring it back.

If, however, the other array wrote data on the disks (unlikely from just adding the DAE to loop temporarily) it may not be possible to bring it back online without EMC Support. EMC Engineering can go in and recover metadata that customers cannot see deep in the array subsystem.

Anyway, give the power cycle a shot.

Richard J Anderson

1.4K Posts

December 10th, 2012 18:00

I would second Richard's recommendation. Apologies for the delay though!

Anyhow,

Step 1: Make sure all the cabling and DAE ID (Bust with Encl ID) is correct. (Correct Order and symmetry)

Re-arrange to the Original Setup for the Bus, Encl, if the order is incorrect.

Step 2: Follow Power down procedure for the Stroage Array.

Step 3: Once, the array is power up completely wait for 10-15 mins till all the services of the storage array is started/online.

Verify the Status of the RAID Group/Storage Pool and LUN Ownership.

If it still shows unowned try to Bring Online or trespass the LUN.

If still the same, as Richard and Jon mentioned, there is nothing much a customer can do for recovery. EMC Engineering might need to intervene and comment on what can be done next.

6 Posts

December 11th, 2012 03:00

Thanks Richard and Ankit. Unfortunately, even after power-cycling the entire array and double-checking the cabling, the LUN was still Unowned and I could not Bring it Online. I will now re-use the array for another project.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions.

Mark

No Events found!