Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2010 10:00

Removing a LUN and Host ID Zero

I have a backup proxy server that I present all my VMware LUNs to so that I can utililize the SAN for backups.  I removed a LUN today that happened to have LUN ID 0.  The disk showed up in Disk Management (Windows Server 2003) as unknown/unreadable.  I could not get rid of it.  I added a different LUN to the storage group and it grabbed ID 0.  The unknown/unreadable disks vanished.  Based off a little reading, it seems like it's related host ID 0.  So, my question is:  If I wanted to remove a LUN permenantly that was assigned ID 0 and not replace it with anything, how would I do this without the disk show up as unknown/unreadable??

261 Posts

September 15th, 2010 11:00

What you are seeing are called "Lunz" devices. Basically placeholders for paths to the array. Primus emc170849 and emc65060 explain about them and what your options are.

-Ryan

2 Posts

So, as long as ID 0 is bound to a LUN I should be good.  So in the future I guess if I remove LUN ID 0, I could always just remove and re-add a different lun and it should grab ID 0 and resolve this issue.  I really don't want to disable arraycompath.

261 Posts

As long as HLU 0 is given to a lun, yes. If you need to remove a lun and there isn't one to add to the host just yet, maybe putting a 1MB lun in it's place would be good. That would eliminate those lunz's from your host.

-Ryan

No Events found!