Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2011 15:00

Reserved LUN Pool And MirrorView With Thin Provisioning

We are in the process of migrating our current traditional raid groups to storage pools which we will use for thin provisioning. Are there any special considerations that need to be taken when dealing with our reserved LUN pool or LUN's that are either source or target for MirrorView. We are running a CX4 with Flare 04.30.000.5.512.

Thank you in advance!

474 Posts

November 30th, 2011 18:00

Thin Pool LUNs don’t have any special Snapview/SANCopy sizing, same as with Traditional LUNs.

As far as the RPL itself, I’d recommend leaving the Reserve LUN Pool LUNs in traditional RAID groups if possible, regardless of what you do with the production data LUNs. Typical customers usually have a dedicated RAID Group for RPL LUNs anyway, so you could just leave that as-is and migrate the rest.

Richard J Anderson

4.5K Posts

December 1st, 2011 08:00

If I might add to what Richard said, the Reserve LUNs should stay on traditional raid groups for best performance. Also, consider using more than one raid group for the RLP if you have a lot of mirrors or snaps.

If you're moving to Pools, you should upgrade flare to 04.30.000.5.522 (this is the latest patch level - 522). Take a look at the different White Papers for Pools and try to make multiple Pools for different uses.

EMC FAST VP for Unified Storage Systems—A Detailed Review Sept 2011.pdf

These are on PowerLink

glen

26 Posts

December 8th, 2011 17:00

We have been actively migrating data from our thick raid groups into a new thin pool with great success thus far. Hit our first MirrorView LUN's and attempting to migrate these from thick to thin we receive the following message:

Migrating from a Full LU to a Thin LU is prohibited as the Migration source is a MirrorView Source/Destination and the migration may potentially cause an unsupported configuration

The LUN to be migrated is listed as the secondary image in a MirrorView configuration.

Is the error because we are attempting to move the LUN to thin but the primary image on the source (remote) array is still thick?

If this is the case, what are my options in handling this? Can I migrate the primary image LUN to a thin pool and then move the secondary to a thin pool?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Dave

474 Posts

December 8th, 2011 18:00

What FLARE code are you running at the source and destination

Thanks!

Richard Anderson

26 Posts

December 9th, 2011 05:00

The source and target (where I am trying to migrate the LUN) are both running 04.30.000.5.512. We scheduled an upgrade to .522 but it didn't occur due to a corrupted download. This forced us into our year end freeze and we now cannot get to .522 until after the beginning of the new year. 

26 Posts

December 9th, 2011 15:00

But should MirrorView devices be moved in a specific order. Does the source LUN need to be thin before migrating the target? Can you speak to the changes in .522 that impact Mirrors (or reference a document)?

What I have been doing is moving the MirrorView devices to an empty traditional raid group to free up other raid groups so we can continue on the Thin push. If we need to wait until after our end of year freeze to circle back to the MirrorView devices than so be it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

4.5K Posts

December 9th, 2011 15:00

I'd hold off on migrating the mirrors until you upgrade flare - there are some fixes that may help with Mirrors and Pools. Also, you might want to consider using a thick Pool Lun for mirrors - you'll get better performance. Or make a Pool just for mirror LUNs.

glen

No Events found!