Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2019 13:00

Reset CX4-240 Password with Limited Options

Hi,

I am new to SAN's in general especially EMC's VNX and Clariion however to cut a long story short.. i have a CX4-240 TRPE with 2 DAE's (One of which contains the first 5 disks containing the O/S)

I have tried to login to Unisphere using several default login credentials such as sysadmin/sysadmin, nasadmin/nasadmin, clariion/clariion! and others. but i'm unable to login due to invalid credentials.

However, I am able to login to the RemoteAnywhere through the browser using clariion/clariion! and have access to the windows server 2003 desktop through remove anywhere so i am hoping there is a way i can add a new user or reset the password so i can then login to the Unisphere gui through a browser.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, i do have physical access and the serial cable with DB9 and i know you can reset by creating a modem connection and going to 192.168.1.1 but i couldn't get that to work and thought it might be easier through RemoteAnywhere

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

November 25th, 2019 10:00

Hello SanNewbie,

Here are the steps with using the serial cable and it should allow you to reset the password on the CLARiiON and VNX array. You'll need to connect a PC to the Service Port COM1 on the SP - there is one port on each SP Management Module. Use a null modem cable.

For a video demonstration, refer the attachments section.

You need to create a PPP connection. The following steps are for Windows 7:

Create the COM port modem.

1. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Phone and Modem.
  2. Click Modem Tab and click add.
  3. On the Install new Modem Pane, select the "Don't detect my modem" box, then click Next.

There will be a pause while the models load.

1. Select Communications cable between two computers, and then click Next.
  2. Select your COM port, click Next, and you are done.

Set up the PPP connection.

1. Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network and sharing center, click Set up a new connection or network (at the bottom).
  2. On the next screen, select set up a dial-up connection and click Next.
  3. The next screen should list modems and select the Communications cable between two computers you created above.
  4. On the next screen type some numeric value for phone number, type the username and password (clariion and clariion!) and give it a name. The above connection should now appear in Network Connections, right-click it and select Properties.

If "clariion/clariion!" is not accepted as Username and Password, try "Administrator/clariion!" as Username and password. On some storage processors, "clariion1992/clariion1992" works.

Once the connection is set up, modify the settings as follows:

1. In the General tab, click configure and set Max speed to 115200 and select enable hardware flow control and Enable modem error control.
  2. In the Options tab, click PPP settings and check top two boxes are selected (LCP extensions and SW compression).
  3. In the Security tab, check Data Encryption is Optional Encryption (connect even if no encryption)" is set.
  4. In the Networking tab, check Internet Protocol Version 4 is selected.
  5. In the Networking tab, choose Internet Protocol Properties, then the Advanced button. Uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network."

Your connection can then be accessed from Network Connections.

Once the PPP connection is established:

1. Point your browser to this URL: https://192.168.1.1/setup.
  2. Click "Create a New Account."
  3. Enter a New User name and in the New Password Verification text box, type in the password again.
  4. Point your browser to this URL: http://
  5. Log in to domain using the new username and password.
  6. From Unisphere dashboard, Go to Domain > Manage Global Users
  7. Select the user for which password needs to reset.
  8. Click Modify and Click OK.
  9. Log out and log in to Unisphere with User whose password was changed.

Note: You also have the option of completely resetting domain security. However, if you select this option, you will destroy ALL domain information, including domain information for the master, other arrays, and portals.

1. Click "Reset Security" and confirm. (You must reset security on both storage processors [SPs].)

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2019 23:00

Hi Sam,

After 5 solid days of failure i feel like i have tried everything possible, im not quite sure what else i can possibly do as i have read multiple online articles and followed several guides but no matter what i do... im unable to get a PPP connection, I have however got 1 step further but still unable to gain a connection.. So here is a break down of what is going on.

1) While the CX4-240 is still booting i am able to connect via the serial cable and putty where the console shows the device booting (At this stage i tried to establish a PPP connection to see if there was any difference and this time the PPP connection went one step further and displayed "Verifying Username and Password" however it then failed with error code:  628  (The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed)

booting

628 code

2)  When the CX4-240 has booted i am no longer able see any output in the putty console, instead it just shows a green square, see the below image.. Again once its booted and i try the PPP connection, i dont even see the "Verifying Username and Password" message, instead i just get error code 777 (The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connecting device) on the remote computer is out of order).

booted

Im banging my head against the wall at the moment and honestly have no idea what else to do or try, I am happy to pay someone a fee to help resolve this issue as at the moment my storage array is down and rendered useless.

Thanks

No Events found!