Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2008 21:00

Safest Procedure to Power Down and Power Up a CX700

Dear All,

We have our CX700 located in a externally hosted datacenter which will have a complete power outage in the next 2 weeks.

We're looking for the safest procedure to Power Down and later on to Power Up the CX700, appreciate if anyone can list or point us to correct info/location.

I have tried to use the CLARiiON ProcGen, and its only procedure for Power Down exist with 2 options that get me confused, there are 2 options to power down the CX700:
- When using Power with Standard AC Power
- When using Power with DC/Telco Power
What is the different between those 2 options?

Many thanks in advance.

/J

90 Posts

March 25th, 2008 08:00

About a year ago, due to an UPS/inverter problem, we had a situation where we knew we were going to go all black in the data center within about 40 minutes! After pealing management off the overhead, we set about shutting down about 200 Windows servers, 50 AIX boxes runnning Oracle dbs, a Symm, a new Clariion, and associated qear as the batteries used up reserves. As luck would have it, we happened to have an EMC Tech on site; with his help we got the Symm connected hosts shut down and pushed the EPS switch. His advice on the Clariion was to let it die by itself while we scurried about in the dark trying go get other divices shut down. After going dark for about 7 hours, during which we turned all the power switches off, power was returned. The results were fairly undramatic, we didn't lose any Symm disks or data, we did lose 2 fiber card on the McData SAN switches, and the Clariion just powered up and suffered no hardware or data loses. The point being, the Clariion SPS's take care of power loss about as well as you can hope for.

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

March 25th, 2008 00:00

AFAIK the only valid way is to shut down the SPSs by switching their power switch. The Clariion will safely power down itself and save the write cache to the vault disks. Powering up is done by switching the power switches of the SPSs again. It's as simple as that.

2.2K Posts

March 25th, 2008 07:00

The power supplies for AC versus DC power are different, that is why there is a different procedure for the different types of power.

RRR is right, the proper way to shutdown a CLARiiON with AC power is to turn off the power switches on each SPS. This will trigger the array to dump data in cache to the vault disks and once that is complete will power down the storage processors and the first enclosure on bus 0. After that is done you can safely power down all your remaining disk enclosures.

By the way the order for shutting down the SAN is:
1. Hosts
2. Arrays
3. Switches

And it is brought up in the reverse order. When powering up your array power up all the enclosures first and make sure all the disks are online before powering up each SPS.

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

Correct, but if you can, use the power switch on the SPSs. Letting them "die" works just fine as well ;)

1.5K Posts

Key point here is - do not Turn Off or disconnect the Storage Processor Enclosure and/or DAE/OS enclosure - the power to the Storage Processor Enclosure and the Flare Disks Enclosure is fed by SPS and use the SPS power switch to turn them on or off. Also, once you turn of SPS Power, you'll still see that the CLARiiON is ON but started the graceful shutdown process and any unwritten data in the memory will be flashed to the vault disk space - so, you the Storage Processor Enclosure will eventually be powered down after a while.

Thanks,
Sandip

238 Posts

Also note that EMC provides guidance on powering down an array in the "CLARiiON Procedure Generator - Customer Version", which is available for download on Powerlink. Search for the above noted name, or go to location;
Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > CLARiiON Tools > CLARiiON Procedure Generators

The utility can generate a set of instructions for various operations, such as powering down an array, expanding a RAID group, upgrading software, etc.

Regards,
DGM

4.5K Posts

March 25th, 2008 12:00

Another point, I would recommend that you disable Write cache first, this will ensure that the Write cache is flushed prior to the shutdown. If there is something wrong with the SPS batteries, you don't want to find this out when you shut off the power.

Also, once the SP's have powered down, then you can turn off the rest of the DAEs. When you power up, turn on all DAEs first, then power on the SPs and remember to turn Write cache back on.

regards,

glen kelley

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2008 13:00

Hi Juang,

I wish you found sufficient information that you were looking for - there had been a numbers of useful replies to your query. If so, request you to kindly mark the question as Answered and select the Correct and Helpful answers.

Please let us know, if you need any more information on this thread.

Thanks in advance,
Sandip

19 Posts

March 26th, 2008 19:00

Dear Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for all your advices and support.
These are very valuable to us.

1.5K Posts

March 27th, 2008 12:00

You are most welcome. However, request you to kindly mark the Correct and Helpful answers. You can choose one Correct answer and upto two helpful answers for each post - it will not only encourage all to reply more and more posts but also will help others to find the right answer for similar query.

Thanks,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

May 27th, 2008 01:00

I know how to shutdown a Clariion, but I need a graphical display (picture) of the sticker that is provided with each Clariion. Can anyone help me ? I don't mean the photo of a rack door with the sticker on it ! I know there are pictures of just the sticker as well, but I can't find it anymore anywhere :(

238 Posts

May 29th, 2008 20:00

I know how to shutdown a Clariion, but I need a
graphical display (picture) of the sticker that is
provided with each Clariion. Can anyone help me ?

We will have someone contact you to see if we can assist.

Regards,
DGM

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2008 02:00

I know how to do it, but I was just looking for the picture of that sticker to put in documentation for end users. The proc gen has a picture in it as well, but that shows a rack door with that sticker. I just need a picture of only the sticker. I know it's out there (I've seen it), but I can't find it anywhere anymore.

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

June 5th, 2008 01:00

I've found it. Thanks to EMC, I got an email with the stickers in it.
No Events found!