Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2009 12:00

Several not logging into CX700 SPA2 R26

6 hosts W2k3, 6 hosts Intermittent ESX 3.0.2 and, Celerra running 5.6 missing path.

Brocade switches.

Connectivity status shows not logged in. PPath shows path to SPA2 dead or only 3 paths instead of 4. Celerra trespassed control luns. 5 ESX hosts intermittently logging out.

SPA0 is fine.

Not isolated to one switch and other hosts on this fabric are talking to SPA2 and SPA0 just fine.

Have set these ports to standby in PPath.

Tried to unregister and reregister one of these initiators-result was that initiator logged into array but refuses to register.

Anyone have ideas? Access Logix confused? Thinking of toggling the SPA2 switch port.

I have a case open, but it's a head scratcher.

2.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 08:00

What is the status of the EMC case on this issue? They have Finisars that they will bring onsite to troubleshoot fabric problems like this. I had two onsite for an issue with my Cisco 9509s for about three months!

2.2K Posts

January 14th, 2009 12:00

So some hosts are logged in and registered to SPA2 just fine, and some hosts are not registered to SPA2 and do not have active paths to that port?

I am assuming you double checked all zones on the switch to ensure the hosts in questions have active zonesets to that port?

For the hosts that do not have working paths to SPA2, what do you see in Navisphere when you expand the Storage Group that the host belongs to and right click on the host and select Connectivity Status? Is there a ~management group listed?

Can you see SPA2 on the hosts through the HBA tools (QLogic SANSurfer or Emulex HBAnywhere)?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 14th, 2009 12:00

physical connectivity ? bad patch panel ? any interesting events in the log on SPA ?

1.5K Posts

January 14th, 2009 14:00

Apart from what dynamox and Aran suggested, I like to mention that hopefully you have checked all physical connectivity issue - like the Cable, Switch port, patch panel etc. Check the switch port where SPA2 is connected for any errors. You may also try resetting the switch port.

However, it may be a port issue on the SP as well - so keep EMC support or your CE engaged - SPA may require replacement in that case.

My 2 cents after a long silence in this forum :) - which in fact my first post in this forum in 2009.

Thanks,
Sandip

January 15th, 2009 06:00

Checked zones-all present. No ~management. Path to SPA0 registered but not logged in. Sansurfer sees SP port as Offline.

SPA2 switch port very clean. No CRCs, lowest error counts on switch.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

don't do that ..it will assign new fcid and it will break CxTxDx devices on HPUX.

SP switch port clean.

This was very sudden BTW, happened overnight on 12/30 to a handful of hosts. Windows, Celerra, ESX. Logged into SPA0 fine, SPA2 path is dead. (SPB0 ports on same fabric are fine) Isolated to this array. 3CXs in our fabric. Some of these hosts have been fine for years. Celerra is a few months old and had trespassed its control luns a couple of times prior to the rest of these hosts becoming not logged in. Celerra attached to two arrays and only complaining about the one with the SPA2 login issue.

Bouncing the port is in the running, but we're waiting for Saturday when we have an SP on site. Toggling the switch port should cause all of the hosts to log back in but we have to plan for the possibility that no initiators will be able to log back into that port. Support is sending out an SP which we'll replace during our Saturday maintenance period.

Happy New Year and thanks for the replies!

SP logs not showing any clues.

Also thought of moving the SP to another switch port, but wouldn't that break the device files on our HP-UX boxes?

January 15th, 2009 12:00

Aside from all the other stuff, is there a mix of 62.5 micron and 50 micron cables in the environment? I have seen that cause weird issues like this.

January 17th, 2009 13:00

Replaced SP. Celerra logged in, but not the rest.

How many initiators per SP Port allowed on CX700 R26 ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 17th, 2009 15:00

check this out:

emc21870

January 21st, 2009 08:00

Thanks, we are under the limit.

2.2K Posts

January 21st, 2009 09:00

Were you able to bounce the port and/or replace the SP this past weekend?
No Events found!