Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2009 14:00

Software solution to erase completely a CX array

Hello EMC gurus,

I would like to get your help haw to erase completely a CX array.
I can contact EMC, there is a PS line for that, but I would like also to get your feedback and to manage that by myself if possible.

Which type of software do you recommend ?
I am in charge to swap the array, and I need to present an erase report for the customer before to switch off the array and to send it to a broker.

I have two ideas to erase the array :

First : destroy all LUNs, RAID Groups, Storage Groups, attachments.
When the array is empty, I will swap several drives between enclosures, after binding again new luns with different RAID type, and after initialization destroy all again.
With this solution, data are inaccessible, but sectors can be read one by one.

Second : attach a windows server, bind several LUNs and use a software eraser, for example Ontrack Eraser.

Could you give me your opinion about this software ?
Can you suggest a better one ?

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Best regards.
Raphlou

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 27th, 2009 09:00

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 25th, 2009 06:00

that should work but is your client looking for any official data erasure certificates ? EMC uses or used to use CXClear application to PXE boot SPs and run at least 3 passes:

Pass 1 - overwrites with a character
Pass 2 - overwrites with the characters' compliment
Pass 3 - overwrites with a random character pattern

2.2K Posts

October 26th, 2009 08:00

Binding a new LUN using disks that previously were used in a RAID Group should start the 'zero disk' process in the background. The fast bind feature of the CLARiiON arrays make it seem like the LUN is immediately available but the array should be performing the 'zero disk' process in the background. At least that is what I have been led to believe. There should be associated events on the SP logs indicating this.

But if your customer provides certifiable proof, I don't think this will help you.

2.2K Posts

October 26th, 2009 08:00

OK I just created a new RAID Group and LUN on some disks that were previously in use. There will be an event in the SP Logs showing the beginning and end of the zeroing process. You could save the event logs out to a text file to provide the customer, but again I don't know what your customer requires in the way of proof and whether this process is sufficient to meet their requirements.

Event Code: 0x7d4
Internal information only. LUN background zeroing started.

Event Code: 0x7d5
Internal information only. LUN background zeroing halted .

Hello AranH,

I need to present an erasure proof, as a certificate printed for each drive.
It is requested by the customer.

Could you have any software recommended ?

Best regards.
Raphlou

Hello Dynamox,

Do you have some details on this software ?
Is it possible to buy this tool ? Is it available for EMC certified Engineers ?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
Raphlou

November 7th, 2009 00:00

Hello Dynamox,

After several investigations, I did not get any information on CXClear and the pricing. The users guide of this software is now joined with the Clariion Procedure Generator. I do not have the rights to download it.
I have sent several emails to TS_Tools_Support@emc.com without answer.
I work pretty close with several EMC managers in France, they don't know this application. So, I close my request, and I will use another software. Best regards. Raphlou

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 7th, 2009 06:00

did you inquire about Data Erasure services or just the application ? CXClear is not available as a stand alone application, this is what professional services use to wipe your array when your purchase the service.
No Events found!