Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2014 07:00

Swapping Disks in a CX3-80

Hello all!  I have been charged with swapping out a failed hard disk located in a CX3-80 and I need some advice.  When my boss found out that the disk was bad he swapped out the failed disk (146GB, 10K RPM) for a disk that had been in a CX4 (146GB, 15K RPM) and it seems to have worked fine.  Well, now we have the correct replacement drive and he wants me to swap the CX4 drive for the new replacement but I do not want to just physically eject the working drive as I think that it could cause issues.  Please help do this the correct way.

213 Posts

April 9th, 2014 15:00

mpenn_sr, If your CX3-80 array is running FLARE 24 or later then you can use a proactive hot spare for proactive disk replacement. Before Release 24 you had to remove the physical disk to replace in order to force a rebuild.  During the rebuild phase, the RAID group was "degraded" and at risk.

The steps for proactive hot spare should be:

• The first step is a physical copy of all the data from the drive you want to replace to an idle hot spare.  During this phase, the array is showing a transitioning status.
  • Once all the data has been copied, the drive you want to replace is powered down.  The array now shows a faulted status.
  • After you have replaced the drive, a normal equalization process does start.  The content of the proactive spare is copied back to the replacement drive.  The array now shows a transitioning status.
  • When the equalization process is completed, the hot spare is again in an idle state.

Let me know if you have further questions. I will be more than happy to help.

Hope it helps

Mohammed Salem  @yankoora

No Events found!