Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2008 05:00

The iSCSI LUNs go offline when a restart is done to Windows 2003

Hi all,

I have an issue here. Whenever the Windows server is restarted, the iSCSI LUNs go offline. Then i should manually get them online again.

Anyone have experienced such problem, kindly advise.

Thank you

4.5K Posts

May 21st, 2008 09:00

Please see the latest EMC Host Connectivity Guide for Windows - there is a section for connecting to the array using iSCIS.

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-000-603_a22_elccnt_0.pdf

For your specific issue, when you first login using the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator, you go to the Target tab, highlight a path and click "Log On" - on the first screen that pops up, you need to check the box called "Automatically restore this connection when the system reboots"

You also need to check the other box, "Enable multi-path" if you are using PowerPath 4.6 or higher.

Next click on the "Advanced" button and on the next screen select each of the three drop downs and select the "Local Adapter" for "Microsoft iSCSI Initiator", then for "Source IP" select the NIC on the server that you will be using for iSCSI traffic. Lastly, for "Target Portal", select the entry presented.

All the above is outlined in the Host Connectivity guide.

regards,

glen kelley

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 21st, 2008 05:00

look in the iSCSI initiator ..there is an option to reconnect at boot time.

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

May 21st, 2008 06:00

Please be informed that Dynamic disk is not supported with iSCSI software initiator.

PLease let me know your configuration. You have to use iSCSI HBA or choose Basic disk.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 21st, 2008 06:00

you don't have to use iSCSI HBA (TOA cards), you can use regular microsoft initiator software to connect to iSCSI target.

Ohhh..i see what you are saying ..you can not use dynamic disk with software initiator (it may work but not supported by Micro$oft).

Message was edited by:
dynamox

2 Intern

• 

131 Posts

May 24th, 2008 00:00

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

I did a small test, created a LUN and chose it to be Basic drive. Then had a reboot. The Basic drive was ok and reconnected automatically. But, the Dynamic went offline and I had to reconnect it manually.

Kelleg,

I read your instructions and I will check them today hopefully.

Guys,

I have one concern regarding basic drives. Up to my knowledge, the drive should be dynamic in order to expand it. But, if it was Basic, I should use the command diskpar. I faced this issue with cluster LUNs as cluster services do not support dynamic disks. So, should the scenario be the same here?

Best Regards,
Rami

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 24th, 2008 04:00

yep, use basic disks with MS Clustering and then if you need to expand the LUN, expand it on the array side and then expand the partition with diskpart. It can be done on the fly without bringing cluster services offline.

2 Intern

• 

131 Posts

May 24th, 2008 07:00

Ok, thank you guys.

4.5K Posts

May 29th, 2008 21:00

Also note the reply above from Mohammad - Microsoft does not support dynamic disks when using iSCSI - check the User Guide for iSCSI at Microsoft where you get the driver.

glen
No Events found!