Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2014 06:00

Unable to Destroy metaLUN that has component on Failed RAID5

Two disks failed in one of the RAID5 groups. Since this array was replaced with a VNX and the data no longer needed, I started to delete LUNs. I cannot however delete this last metaLUN. The error states it's still in use by the storage system. There are no hosts attached to this array. There are no storage groups, mirrors, snapshots or SAN copies. The state is "shutdown" and the current owner is 'unknown.' I've tried to assign it to an SP with no luck. I've also tried to destroy it with NAVISECCLI and get the same error as the GUI. The component that is on the faulted RAID5 has a state of 'bound unassigned.' Two of the disks in that component have a state of 'faulted', but when I go into their properties,  their current state is 'misplaced.' I did try to migrate the metaLUN, but after 1 hour there didn't seem to be any progress.

Obviously, I have no need for any of the data. I just want to wipe the LUNs and RAID groups from this array and start over.

June 16th, 2014 01:00

Please try restarting management server and try to delete the LUN:

Note: This procedure  must be performed on both Storage Processors to be effective!

1. Open a new browser window.
  2. Type in the address bar:

http: // xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/setup

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the Storage Processor (SP).
  3. When the screen has loaded, type in the Username and Password used to access Navisphere User Interface (UI).
  4. Once logged in, click the "Restart Management Server" button.
  5. Once the page has loaded, click the "Yes" option, and then click "Submit."

However, the above mentioned procedure dose not work, please follow the same:

If MirrorView/A is enabled, but you cannot create mirror or cannot add mirror secondary, Navisphere will not display the LUN as a potential mirror image.  Execute the following command to determine whether the primary or secondary LUN has the MirrorView/A driver on the LUN stack: 

navicli -h <IP_address> getlun -messner <LUN_number> -stack

The output from the command will vary depending on which layered applications are on the target LUN's stack.  If MirrorView/A is turned on, the output will look like this:

Listed Driver:       K10RollBackAdmin
K10FarAdmin <----  This is the MirrorView Async driver.
K10SnapCopyAdmin

"K10FarAdmin" indicates the MirrorView/A feature. "K10RollBackAdmin" and "K10SnapCopyAdmin" are required for proper MirrorView/A operation.

The following command will list all the mirrors and their primary LUNs.   If a mirror does not have a secondary image, the resulting output will indicate "No Secondary Images" for that mirror.

Java -jar navicli.jar -address <SP_IP_address> -user <username> -password <password> mirror -Async -list -LUN

Execute the following command to remove the MirrorView/A or MirrorView/S driver from the target LUN's stack:

Java -jar navicli.jar -address <SP_IP_address> -user <username> -password  <password> -scope 0  mirror -Async|-sync -setfeature -off -LUN  <LUN_number> or

naviseccli -h <SP_IP_address> -user <username> -password <password> -scope 0 mirror -Async|-sync -setfeature - off -LUN <LUN_number>

Verify that the MirrorView/A driver is no longer on the LUN's stack by executing:

navicli -h <IP_address> getlun -messner <LUN_number> -stack

"K10FarAdmin" should no longer appear. "K10RollBackAdmin" and "K10SnapCopyAdmin" should also be absent from the output unless some other layered application is still using the LUN.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2014 08:00

Suman,

Non you your suggestions have worked. Maybe there's another layered application, but I can't think of what. What would happen if I powered down the array and removed the disks that are members of that RAID group?

4.5K Posts

June 17th, 2014 12:00

metaLUN have component LUNs. To destroy the component LUNs, you must destroy the metaLUN - right click on the metaLUN (not the component LUNs in the meta) and select Destrory.

glen

5 Posts

June 18th, 2014 05:00

@glen. There is no 'destroy' choice in the contextual menu. only delete. When I choose that, I am told that the LUN is in use by a feature of the storage system. There are no mirrors, no SAN Copy connections Snaps or Clones.

4.5K Posts

June 20th, 2014 14:00

Sorry - I hurried and missed that one component LUN was in a raid group that was failed. You can not delete a LUN is the underlying raid group is faulted. You have fix the raid group first.

There may be a way for engineering to fix this, but you would need to open a service request with EMC to get engineering involved to see if this can be done.

glen

4.5K Posts

June 24th, 2014 09:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

1 Message

October 4th, 2017 04:00

if anyone face this issue you can try the naviseccli unbind lunid

No Events found!