This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 13:00

Unisphere agent not registering in Hyper-V 2012 FC vHBA environment

Hello,

Currently I have a Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster with CX4-120
for storage. I have a problem with pass-through disks to VM’s (adding/removing
LUN to the cluster causes problems) and have read I need to dump the pass-through
method in favor of using virtual FC HBA’s and connect the LUN directly to VM.

I’m 99% of the way there, but I can’t seem to get the VM to
register with the array. I can manually register the host and assign a SG and
LUN no problem everything works. But I’ve tried the unisphere agent (latest and
last two version for Windows) and the server utility and neither register with
the array. The VM has only one NIC and even so I added a agenID.txt file just
in case, but no luck. I can ping in both directions and the agent service is
running.

My first question is, what’s the best way to troubleshoot agent
issues.  I don’t see logs on either the VM
or the array that can help.

Second question, what could be wrong?

My basic config is… FC switch (MDS 9124) is enabled for
NPIV, physical HBA’s (Emulex LPe11000e) are NPIV enabled w/latest drivers
installed and I’ve setup my virtual FC switch in Hyper-V and added vHBA
adapters to the VM.

Thanks for the help! Ken

4.5K Posts

May 30th, 2013 12:00

From the most current release notes for EMC Host Agent (docu47422_Unisphere-Host-Software-CLI-and-Utilities-for-VNX-OE-for-Block-Release-Notes-Version-1.2.26.1.0094.pdf) page 3 - attached is case you don't have the most current release notes. Seems support was added for Windows 2012 with flare release 32 patch 201. These release notes are for the recently released patch 204.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Server 2012 support for Host Agent and Server Utility

Unisphere Host Agent, CLI, Secure CLI, Server Utility, and Storage System Initialization Utility support Windows Server 2012. However, Windows Server 2012 with NPIV enabled is not supported in this release. That is, the virtual FC registration inside the virtual machine running on Windows Server 2012 is not supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

glen

1 Attachment

Correct, zoning was no problem and I can see the initiators in Connectivity Status. I did try the Server Utility and it completes with a a successful message when I run thru the register wizard. Thanks, Ken

The VM has only one NIC, I did add an agentID.txt file but it was no help. I did register the host manually and connected it to the initiators and eveyrthing worked ok. But I dont really do not want to do that for 50 VM's.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

how many network interfaces in the VM itself ? As you probably know you can register initiators manually.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

So you had no problems zoning vHBAs to CX4 ports ..and you can actually see your VM initiators in Connectivity Status ? Have you also tried Unisphere server utility ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 11:00

can you disable VM's firewall and restart the agent ?

May 30th, 2013 12:00

I was begining to think that might be the case. I'm on Flare 30.525 (CX4) and not likely to ever see Flare 32.  So, even if the agent supports virtual FC in a future rev it's not likely to "work"?

Having said that, manual configuration seems to work ok. I assume its officially still unsupported?

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2013 03:00

Host Agent now supports Hyper-V virtual FC registration in release 33 just delivered in August. You can get the latest Agent package from support.emc.com

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2013 09:00

When you reference release 33 are you referring to FLARE 33?

4.5K Posts

October 8th, 2013 12:00

yes - sorry. Flare release 33 for the new VNX2 - I tend to shorten to R33. The host software (Agent, CLI, USM, Install tools) is backwards compatible with the older arrays and when a major fix is released, it will go to the latest release and the older releases (flare 32 R32) will be removed from the suppport.emc.com site.

glen

No Events found!