Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2009 13:00

Windows Server 2008 Unmanaged

We have just implemented our first 2008 server. I have attached storage but i am getting the big "U" for unmanaged on my host. Its a cluster so usually that means the private network has first priority vs the public IP address. I know how to do this in 2003 but 2008 is a different beast and I cant find the Advanced setting that usually allow me to change the priority of the public and private networks. Has anyone run into this as well and know how to change it? Here is a link that explains what I am trying to do. The example is for Vista.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/change-network-adapter-priority-in-vista/

Thanks,

Mike

2.2K Posts

June 8th, 2009 14:00

Mike,
Windows 2008 is better than 2003 so that means everything is harder to find and more difficult to configure :D

The Advanced menu is still there, you just have to unhide it first. Go to Network and Sharing Center, and select Manage Network Connections on the left. Click on the Organize drop down box, select Layout and then select Menu Bar. Then the usual menu list appears and you can go into Advanced and adjust your binding order as needed.

This may not resolve the problem though. With Windows 2008 I have found the binding order does not always resolve the issue and that the firewall can interfere the naviagent. First try creating an agentID.txt file in the Navisphere Agent (with all the usual parameters) directory and restart the Navisphere Agent service. If that doesn't resolve it disable the firewall temporarily and see if that resolves it. If that resolves it them check out the firewall rules for the naviagent service.

Aran

2.2K Posts

June 8th, 2009 15:00

No, the agentID.txt file is created in the Navisphere directory. If the Navisphere Agent service finds the file on startup, it uses the host name and IP address parameters in the file for regisitering with the array.

So just create a text file in the Navisphere Agent directory and name it agentID.txt. The format of the file is:

Line 1: fqdn of host
Line 2: ip address of host

Example:
host1.domain.com

Restart Navisphere Agent after the creation of the file.

50 Posts

Well you got me to the advanced settings but you were right that wasnt it. You mention an agentID.txt file? Do you mean the agent.config file?

Windows Firewall is off.

Thanks,

Mike

2.2K Posts

It's not weird, it is normal for 2008. I have experienced the same thing with just about every 2008 server in our environment.

Also disabling UAC is one of the first things I do as that tends to cause problems with some installed agents.

50 Posts

Ok I will give that a try. The weird thing is that Naviagent registered with the array once before but now its Unmanaged. I dont know why it would register with the array and then become unmanaged. I installed Naviagent today so there hasnt been any changes really to the host itself.

Thanks,

Mike

February 13th, 2010 00:00

Hi Guys,

I have faced the same problem. I did the order binding for the networks and also I have created the agentID file under the Naviagent directory. It became managed for few minutes then back to Big U on the hosts.

best regards

osama

4.5K Posts

February 15th, 2010 08:00

I've found that the problem is with a new adapter called "Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adaper" - for some reason this has a higher priority than the other NIC's -  do an ipconfig /all - you should see it there. I have seen this as the IP address for the the two hosts in a cluster. Then do a netstat -rn - the Interface List will list all the adapters - there is a number in the left most column - that is suppose to indicate the priority for each NIC - in Windows 2008 the lowest number is suppose to be the first bound NIC - which Agent uses to communication with the Clariion. Note that the Failover NIC is higher than the NIC you chose in Advanced Settings.

The agentID.txt is suppose to override this and force Agent to use the address you put into agentID.txt - for some reason it does not appear to do this.

What version of Agent are you using? If using version 6.29 try 6.28 and see if that works.

I've also seen that when you shutdown one of the hosts (for a two node cluster) that the IP address on the remaining host will suddenly start displaying the correct IP address in Navisphere - when the second host is started, it reverts back to the Failover NIC IP address - these seem to be in the 169.254.1.x range.

glen

February 16th, 2010 23:00

It was some firewall issue, it is now working fine.

thanx for all

4.5K Posts

February 17th, 2010 08:00

Can you provide more detailed information on what you needed to do to fix the problem?

What Firewall - Windows or external? What about the Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter - did this cause you any issues?

Did you need to set the binding order or did you use the agentID.txt?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

glen

February 17th, 2010 22:00

I did set the binding oreder for the local networks and create the agentID file under the naviagent directory.

Also there was a firewall on the windows hosts it self, so I opened the port 6389 for naviagent at the local firewall. After that the hosts appears with normal view without any problem.

osama

4.5K Posts

February 18th, 2010 08:00

Thanks - I'll try that.

Before you made the changes, what was the IP address that the hosts displayed in Navisphere?

glen

February 19th, 2010 20:00

At the early begining I am not remembering what it was but it was starting with something like "169._._._" for all hosts which I think it was the internal IP addresses of the blades.

osama

4.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

Thanks, that's useful information

IP address 169.254.x.x are the addresses that Windows assigned when a NIC that has DHCP enabled can find the DHCP server - sort of a default IP address.

glen

4.5K Posts

February 24th, 2010 13:00

FYI - another customer that was experiencing this same issue was able to get it fixed when he added the FQDN and IP address to his "hosts" file in C:\WNT\system32\drivers\etc\

glen

45 Posts

July 13th, 2010 18:00

Hi All,

I just had this error, after going through all of the steps listed. Still wasn't able to get it working. The network bindings where correct, agentid.txt done, host file update, firewall open. There were two setting I had to change

- Remove IP6 from the network cards

- This is was a new IBM 3650 M3 (model is 3 months old) I had to disable the IBM USB Remote NDIS Network Device.

Oh server os was win2k8 sp2 x64

Just adding to collective solutions

No Events found!