Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2011 04:00

Write cache Enable/Disable

Hello Everyone,

I am doing some research on write cache disable/enable for clariion arrays. Like to get your thoughts . We had a power outage and so many clariion arrays went offline. There was a dial home for the power outage on these clariion arrays. So during the power restoral process there were many performance issues and even after power comes up still hosts reported performance issues. Later from analysis form EMC we came to know that write cache was disabled during the power outage and we didnt get any alerting or EMC got any alerting on the write cache disable. Is there any way we can set up some sought of alerting when write cache is disabled on the clariion arrays may be like a dial home(EMC) or internally for us.

please let me know some suggestions

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 04:00

have a daily script that runs naviseccli and looks for status (Enabled, Disabled, Frozen ..etc)

naviseccli -h ss1_spa getcache -state

6 Posts

October 12th, 2011 05:00

Dynamox,

i am not an expert in scripting can you let me know how we can create a script and run if write cache disables

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 12th, 2011 08:00

i am not going to write a script for you because i don't want to take that learning opportunity away from you . I don't know what platform you use but you basically want to parse output of that command and look for specific string. If that string is equal to Disabled, you want to notify your team by sending an email or whatever you decide to do.

6 Posts

October 12th, 2011 10:00

Hi understood .apart from the script is there any way we can set up Dial home to EMC if write cache disables. and also are there any other parameters(like write cache) we can cosider to script if something goes bad on the clariion array we are notfied so that we can take fast response.  I am talking abt the parameters which do not dial home and may cause issues in the production environement

136 Posts

October 19th, 2011 22:00

write cache won't be enabled until both SPS are fully charged after power outage. If you need dialhome or email notification for event of wirte cache disable.

I think you may take a look at template to find the corresponding event and check mark it. Hopes it helpful.

-Steve

No Events found!