Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

error when trying to expand LUN (CX500)

I'm trying to bind a LUN and I'm getting the following error message:

"The bind operation failed: SP-A: Unit too large SP-B: Unit too large."

I've done this quite a few times and never received this error. On the same array, I had bound a LUN that was 1.16 T. This LUN size was only 600 gig.

1.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

Are you creating a LUN or extending a LUN?

If you are creating a LUN - ensure that the amount of free contiguous space on that Raid Group is more than 600 GB.

If you are extending an existing LUN by 600 GB - please note that you may be hitting the Maximum LUN size limit on that array based on the Flare code version you are running. What is ths Flare code you are running on CX500? May be you are trying to get a larger than 2 TB LUN which may not be be supported on the Code version you have. Try to create a LUN within 2 TB and check.

My 2 cents, I am sure others will provide valuable comments/suggestions,
Sandip

261 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

In the raid group that you are trying to bind this in, what if the amount of free contiguous space? If it's under 600GBs then you don't have enough space in that raid group to create that lun (even if the total free space is >600GBs, the lun can only bind in contiguous free space)

-Ryan

33 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 12:00

Contiguous space was 600, Ryan.

33 Posts

August 4th, 2009 09:00

Right on the money, Sandip. Total space available was 600g. When I reduced the LUN size to 599g, I was able to create the LUN. Thanks to all who posted.

1.5K Posts

August 4th, 2009 10:00

Great work - glad that your issue is resolved and we were of some help on this forum :)

Cheers,
Sandip
No Events found!