Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2010 04:00

esxi4 auto-registration ip address

Hi,

We've got a CX4 running the latest flare 30 code with 4 esxi hosts connected via FC.

The 4 esxi 4 hosts have auto-registered themselfs but some are using the service console ip and some are using the vmotion ip.

Is there anyway to force the esxi hosts to use the service console ip in stead of any other kernel interface.

Regards,

John

4.5K Posts

October 11th, 2010 09:00

Please see Primus emc241869 - then from that Primus select emc246939

glen

99 Posts

October 12th, 2010 05:00

ESXi host have been registered with the correct name/ip in VC.

But for some reason the hosts register with the correct name but with the wrong IP.

When we remove the virtual center server from Unisphere and re-add it, it's showing us the wrong ip address.

Connectivity status is also showing the correct name but wrong IP.

The primus is showing ways to modify the ip on the VC part but that's all correct.

John

4.5K Posts

October 12th, 2010 09:00

See Pimus emc66921 - this is not strickly about your issue, but more generally about the use of a cloned image - did you clone the host images that you're using?

glen

99 Posts

October 13th, 2010 02:00

we didn't clone any image.

For some reason a host that was registered with the correct ip is now showing the incorrect one.

John

4.5K Posts

October 13th, 2010 08:00

Are the hosts you're talking about VM's? Are the ESX servers all logged in and registered correctly?

glen

99 Posts

October 16th, 2010 08:00

They are Vsphere 4.1 ESXi hosts registered to the CX4 via FC. Host have auto-registered themselfs and are serving VM's from the shared lun, that's all working fine.

Only issue is that I'm seeing the wrong ip address for the registered hosts. 3 out of the 4 hosts are showing the vmotion ip in stead of the console ip.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 16th, 2010 09:00

Is VMotion enabled on vSwitch0 ?

99 Posts

October 18th, 2010 00:00

Yes, vmotion enabled.

4.5K Posts

October 18th, 2010 08:00

Have you contacted VMware? All host registration issues for ESX 4.x are now handled by VMware.

Since ESX 4.x, the host registration has been implemented by VMware - they took the Agent  information, but did the implementation.

If you get an answer that resolves your issue, I'll add that to the Primus.

Glen

99 Posts

October 20th, 2010 11:00

Friend of my stumbled into the same issue after applying a host profile to some new vsphere hosts.

I have to check this tomorrow but looks like when a host profile is being applied to a new host, vmk internal numbering is changed causing vsphere to use the wrong ip as the first interface is now the vmotion interface.

We have one system that's using the correct ip, and all other hosts, that have been configured via a host profile, are using the incorrect vmotion one.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 20th, 2010 13:00

Glen,

host profiles are like "templates" or kickstart scripts. They build ESX boxes per your template requirements,  they do not contains host names though. Take a look at this picture, it seems as if you have multiple vSwitches, the first one vSwitch0 is "higher in the stack" ..kind of like binding in Windows ? So it gets registered first with whatever IP address is assigned to it. I bet you if i connected this ESX box to CX it would register as 192.168.250.33 in Navisphere. Just a guess

10-20-2010 4-43-26 PM.png

4.5K Posts

October 20th, 2010 13:00

Please let us know the results - I'll create a Primus solution to explain this (if you can explain to me - this is begining to sound like greek)

glen

99 Posts

October 22nd, 2010 06:00

vpshere will use the vmk0 address as the registration address:

correct one:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-vmknic.pl --server .45 -list

Interface  Port Group/DVPort          IP Family IP Address

vmk0       Management Network         IPv4      .45                  

vmk1       VMotion                    IPv4      .24                  

incorrect one:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>vicfg-vmknic.pl --server .44 -list

Interface  Port Group/DVPort          IP Family IP Address                  

vmk0       VMotion                    IPv4      .23                    

vmk1       Management Network         IPv4      .44                 

First host(/.45) was source for host profile, when applying host profile to other vsphere hosts, vmk0 and vmk1 are swapped, causing the host to register with the vmotion address which is now on vmk0.

Not sure what should be changed here. The applying of host profiles process which should still use vmk0 as the service console address or registration process who should use a service console address and not just use address on vmk0.

March 26th, 2012 16:00

An old thred that I'm digging up here...

Anyone find a way to fix this issue? I've finally started using host profiles now that we have quite a few hosts and the first one I used a host profile on gave me this problem.

My only difference is that my first adapter (vmk0) is actually my MGMT adapter.

It actually ended up registering the vMotion/FT IP on vmk3.

159 Posts

March 26th, 2012 22:00

The trick here is that the host profiles and the order in which they recreate the network interfaces and vmk ports.  You can see more about this here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1656879?tstart=0

To resolve, it is pretty simple:

1. Do this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017910
  2. Disable HA - Cluster Level -- If you don't you will wish you had.
  3. Log your network config (IP/Subnet/Gateway/Etc.)
  4. Connect to the console of the ESX host in question.
  5. Connect to TSM (You Enabled It in Step 1)
  6. Remove the VMotion and FT port groups, if applicable.
    1. esxcfg-vmknic -d vMotion

2. esxcfg-vmknic -d 'Fault Tolerance'

7. Next Remove the Management Port Group -- HA is disabled and you are on the Console; no?

1. esxcfg-vmknic -d Management

8. Recreate the management port group with your settings you logged in step 3.

1. esxcfg-vmknic -a -i IPADDRESS -n SUBNETMASK Management

9. Go into vCenter and re-create the VMotion and FT port groups, if applicable

I believe this issue is resolved in ESXi 5, but I can:t confirm it.  Well, I could but I don't really want to down a cluster right now.

Hope that help you!

No Events found!