Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2008 16:00

powerpath question

I attached a solaris 10 box to a cx-500. The server has 1 emulex HBA. I installed Powerpath SE on it. I see both paths on the cx-500 side under the connectivity status.I also see the solaris native devices when I do 'format'. However I dont see the pseudo devices when I do

server_1> powercf -q
NO valid mapping entries in conf file!

I ran powermt config, powermt save, but it still does not create the pseudo devices;

server_1> powermt display dev=all
Device(s) not found.

Does the unlicensed version of powerpath create the /dev/rdsk/emcpower* devices? If it does, what am I missing?

Thanks

1.5K Posts

June 27th, 2008 22:00

Have you edited the solaris sd.conf configuration file (/kernel/drv/sd.conf) to accommodate all targets and LUNs you want to add. Please ensure the HBA driver is installed and configured before you edit the sd.conf file. Also keep a backup copy of this kernel file. Please revert back if you need any more details on editing the sd.conf file.

Also, ensure persistent binding is enabled to the Emulex configuration file. Run /usr/sbin/lpfc/lputil -> select option 5 - persistent bindings -> select 5 for bind automapped targets -> select 0 for the first adapter (you have only one HBA - or else do the same for all adapters) -> select Y (yes) to bind all automapped targets -> select 2 - bind by port name. -> perform a recursive reboot.

Please note - you need to run this lputil to enable persistent binding before you edit the sd.conf file.

Hope this helps.
Sandip

June 30th, 2008 04:00

try this
devfsadm -C
powercf -q
powermt config
powermt display dev=all
if you will see lun, save a config
poermt save
p.s. check admin guide for powerpath in solaris environment
Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ P-R ~ Documentation > PowerPath > Installation/Configuration

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

June 30th, 2008 08:00

Sandip and Undertaker:

I have done all that but unfortunately nothing.

$ devfsadm -C
$ powercf -q
NO valid mapping entries in conf file!
$ powermt config
$ powermt display dev=all
Device(s) not found.

I have done this on servers with dual HBAs and licensed powerpath with no issues. This is the first time I am doing on a single HBA box and still no luck.

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

July 1st, 2008 08:00

I see the 'failover mode' on the HBA on the clariion side is set to '0' unlike the other HBA's that are set to '1'. I would like to try to switch it to 1 for the HBA if that resolves the issue. I will do the devfsadm, powermt config after that.

Is there anything I need to watch before I do this? will it affect anything else? I havent mounted the LUNS on the server side yet.

1.5K Posts

July 1st, 2008 11:00

Good catch - the Failover mode needs to be set to 1 for PowerPath - we should have mentioned that earlier.

Since the LUNs are not yet mounted on the server and there is no data, I assume there is no risk in changing the failover mode. However, I'll prefer to take a recursive reboot of the server after changing the failover mode.

My 2 cents :) what about others?

Thanks,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

July 1st, 2008 13:00

This solved the issue:

On clariion:

- changed the HBA failover mode to 1

On the host:

cfgadm -c configure c# (To get the c#, cfgadm -al )
devfsadm -C
powercf -q
powermt config

Thanks for your input guys!
No Events found!