Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 8th, 2014 14:00

setting up CX3-80 PPP connection

Can someone tell me if a an EMC mini-DB9 to microDB9 is the right cable to use when doing PPP? I've been trying to contact an old array from a WS2008 server over PPP, but cannot get any response from either SP. Or is this type of array need the special DB9 to RJ45 null modem cable?

thanks

September 9th, 2014 00:00

Hi,

I think referring to these links may give you some information:

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-8449

emc80743

Thanks

Jyothi

157 Posts

September 9th, 2014 05:00

Yeah I’ve found this article already but it doesn’t answer the question on the type of cable needed. There is a microDB9 port on the back of the SPs and I’ve tried using this method and the EMC cable but cannot get anything to connect with PPP.

thanks

157 Posts

September 9th, 2014 09:00

Thanks glen. That is what I thought. Must be something on our server config which renders the PPP from it to the SP unusable as I cannot get any characters or even a slightest blip of connectivity between the 2. If only laptops still had serial ports ☹

Dave

4.5K Posts

The serial cable is a standard null modem cable.

glen

4.5K Posts

There must be an old Pentium sitting around in a closet somewhere running XP? 

glen

157 Posts

September 26th, 2014 13:00

yep, it was brain fart time here. Figured I'd confess while thinking about it. Being a sort of left2right person, when I modified the SP address and lost my "web" connection, and subsequently the array, I took my laptop down and tried the crossover cable thing to the SP I thought I hosed. Well, yeah, B is on left not the right. If only I touched the back of the SPs more than once every 5 years. So after pulling some hair and whatnot out, I looked and the lightbuld came on -doh, plug in to the other SP you moron. Never did get the stupid null modem cable to work with my more modern notebook serial port, too locked down and stripped of all the good tools.

yeah I get it now

thanks glen

No Events found!