Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2010 09:00

storage groups and hosts transitioning

Following the creation of two new LUNs (approx. 2.5 TBytes in size each) in a RAID6 6+2 raid group on Saturday, July 3, we placed them in a storage group that is tied to a production Celerra ns40g. This morning, in Navisphere Manager, I noticed that we have the symbol T (in a circle) on our Celerra Host in the Storage Group. I believe the T is for transitioning. If that is correct, what is it trying to tell us? We ran rescan on the Celerra and picked up the 2 new LUNs on Saturday. Not sure what's happening now. This is running on a CX3-20 with Flare 03.26.020.5.016. Thank you.

July 6th, 2010 10:00

The Fastbind feature of FLARE makes luns available immediately upon creation, but the underlying bind operation can take many hours (couple days) to complete depending upon the initial Bind rate defined.  Considering that you are binding 2.5TB SATA luns, that doens't surprise me.  I would suggest running a naviseccli 'getlun' command against the luns in question to see the current 'percent bound' state.

46 Posts

But shouldn't we see the bad drive when we drill down into the physical tree and look at each disk?

46 Posts

When I drill down into the physical tree I don't see anything transitioning. 

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

could be a drive went bad but does not have any LUNs on it.

542 Posts

yes the "T" indicates something is transistioning.       You can get the "T" from a RG defrag or when a new disk is being equalized from a hotspare.   Can you drill down thru the "physical" tree and see what component the "T" is on?

261 Posts

Right-click on a lun in that raid group and hit properties. For the Percent Created and Percent Rebuilt, what are the numbers? If the created stat is not 100, then it is still binding in the background (immediately available due to the Fast Bind feature). If there is less than 100 for the rebuilt, then maybe a drive died and came back online. Would want to see what all luns show in there.

542 Posts

Ya  another thing you can do is open the disk summary and click on the "hot spare replacing" field and see if any hotspares are in use.

When you created thes new 2.5TB lun's,  was the space they were created with free before or part of a raid group that had lun's bound on it that you destroyed?  The initial binding of a lun is very quick if it is done on a new raid group.  If it is a old raid group, it takes alot longer.  But i also think that you cant use those lun's till it finishes and you already siad that you presented them to the Celerra....

29 Posts

If I can recall correctly BZR (background zeroing process) works at a rate of roughly 18MB/sec (50MB/sec in R28 P504 and above)

So, this will give us an idea how much time it will take to complete the process. Obviously, we need to account for load because of production running on these drives.

29 Posts

I love Java.

46 Posts

Reply to Brent >> The Fastbind feature of FLARE makes luns available immediately upon creation, but the underlying bind operation can take many hours (couple days) ...

So ... I didn't see the Transitioning icon on Saturday evening after I did the RG / LUN creation and I sort of thought I would. It all just appeared in place really fast (yes, this was all new disk). I was surprised at how fast it went and was even more surprised when I ran the celerra rescan about 15 minutes later and it found the new storage. So ... I guess the "Fastbind" feature takes care of this ... but I haven't tried to allocate or actually use any of that new disk space on the Celerra yet. I'm wondering now if it would have let me use it if the LUN binding operation was still running for a couple of days?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you can start using it right away. After you rescan in Celerra you could go ahead and creating file systems immediately.

46 Posts

Thank you everyone for the excellent assistance and feedback! I'm sorry I ran out of "answer" points to share! Lots of great help.

46 Posts

>> Right-click on a lun in that raid group and hit properties. For the Percent Created and Percent Rebuilt, what are the numbers? If the created stat is not 100, >> then it is still binding in the background (immediately available due to the Fast Bind feature). If there is less than 100 for the rebuilt, then maybe a drive died >> and came back online. Would want to see what all luns show in there.

I show 100 percent bound and 100 percent rebuilt on both of the luns in this new RAID group. A visual inspection of the cx3-20 shows nothing but green lights on all the drives.

At this point, I logged all the way out of navisphere manager and logged back in. I thought navi man would clear that T icon automatically when it was finished ... but I guess not ... because logging out and back in cleared it. Perhaps the binding just finished and hadn't had enough time to pass the information along to clear the T icon. Beats me.

No Events found!