Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2010 12:00

Adding SATA DAE to NX4 - new install

Hello Everyone;

I have been trying to follow the documentation that is described in this Primus Solution: http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/documentDisplay.do?docType=1006&clusterName=DefaultCluster&resultType=5002&groupId=1&page=&docProp=$solution_id&docPropValue=emc198527&passedTitle=null

It's pretty confusing at the section where it tells you to run the software wizard for adding the DAE.  The documentation seems to user USM/NST interchangably.

So far, what I've done is just add the expansion enabler pack with the use of NST.  (in another unrelated error, USM fails to download everything when I do a "Download Software")

According to the install document for adding a new DAE, once you have it cabled, all you have to do is add the expansion enabler and it should work.  Well in Celerra manager I can't see the SATA storage pool.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Edit: I should add that we only have navisphere express and EMC celerra manager basic edition

8.6K Posts

September 24th, 2010 14:00

please don't use navicli - use the GUI

go to Powerlink - in the upper left hand corner select Celerra Tools in the drop-down

then select NX4

then there should be configure for production ... perform common post-CSA tasks ... add disks ...

should lead you to some pages describing how to do it

If you insist on CLI you can try setup_clariion but I don't know if that works with NX4

Rainer

September 24th, 2010 13:00

Storage Provisioning Wizard gives error: raidgp::get_disk_technology, Empty disk list.  Which I guess is a known error when adding a SATA DAE according to a support issue I saw.

Also - I can't locate the download for navi gui anywhere.  I've spent hours looking and all I can find is unisphere service manager and Navisphere service taskbar

8.6K Posts

if it shows the disks as unused than the first steps of adding the enabler and the cabling have worked

you now need to do the RAID and LUN config

I just tried to do that as you posted.  I was reading the cli reference and according to that, it looks lik this command is O.K: (is it absolutely necessary to use navisseccli?  I just used navicli)

./navicli createrg 2 1_0 1_1 1_2 1_3 1_4 -raidtype r6

However, it fails with:

Error: createrg command failed
Cannot access device

8.6K Posts

I suggest to either use the Storage Provisioning Wizard in Celerra Manager or the Clariion Navi GUI

Take a look at Powerlink in Celerra Tools for further info

How do I do that?  What's the command for navicli to show the disks it can see?

I can see the disks in Celerra manager as 6 Unused SATA.

8.6K Posts

can you see the disks in Navi?

8.6K Posts

well, then just configure it the old-fashioned way using NaviSphere or NaviExpress

September 24th, 2010 14:00

Thanks for your help here Rainer.  I managed to connect to navisphere gui, uploaded my expansion enabler and I'm currently in the process of upgrading.  I guess the NST didn't do this part for me.

11 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 10:00

After you add the DAE physicall, follow these steps:

1) Access the Navisphere Express and install the Expansion enabler software

2) Now login into the control station using SSH as nasadmin

3) Now type su and press enter. Enter the root password and press enter

4) Run /nas/sbin/setup_clariion serialnumber and press enter (the serial number of the array can be found by running nas_storage -l)

Now you will see a display of the configured and unconfigured DAEs follow the setps and select one of the templete which is sutable for you.

When the script is done it would have finished creating raid groups, luns and added them to the celerra. You should see the new pool/space

if you run the nas_pool -size -all command.

No Events found!