Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2011 04:00

Any one have experience in migrating celerra to NetApp

Need to migrate a celerra to NetApp for my  customer. I am more familier with EMC tools for migration but never moved anythign out of EMC frames to other vendors  - Can anyeon offer some inputs on what tools can be possible. I can consider both EMC and NetApp tools.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 29th, 2011 07:00

why would somebody want to migrate from Celerra to an inferior platform like NetApp . You will need to rely on host based tools (emcopy/robocopy for windoz and rsync for *nix)

May 29th, 2011 10:00

If you're on 5.6 code or later, you can consider using NDMPcopy, which is supported by both EMC and NetApp.  Basically, you run an NDMP copy from the Celerra to the NetApp filer, and rely on NDMP processes to "backup" and "restore' file permissions on each side.  I would not rely on this to for iSCSI volumes or to restore Windows permissions - I'd only use it for NFS-only filesystems, either with local UID/GID or with NIS, etc.

Search the forums and you'll see a couple of informative posts on it.

Karl

May 29th, 2011 13:00

Thanks Dynamo and Carl both.

Yeah thats strangn why they would want to go to NetApp  -  some in Financial industry are so loyal to NetApp for NAS  even though  they are primary an EMC shop when it comes to  SAN.

Well we got to do what we got to ( told to  ) do .

8.6K Posts

May 30th, 2011 03:00

Hi Karl,

while the NDMP protocol itself is a standard the data format of the backup it uses is not.

Every company uses its own (native) format there - NetApp dump, EMC PAX, ...

So you cannot just restore a NDMP backup from a different architecture or ndmpcopy between.

For ndmpcopy NetApp -> Celerra EMC has a utility that converts the data stream online - but not for the other direction.

regards

Rainer

5 Posts

August 17th, 2014 15:00

What is the utility that EMC uses to convert the datastream online?

I want to use NDMPCopy to migrate from a NetApp to a Celerra.

8.6K Posts

August 18th, 2014 03:00

It is part of CTA (Cloud Tiering Appliance)

No Events found!