Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

Best way to migrate from clar_performance to clarata_archive / Cifs

Hello,

I've been mulling over many options to migrate a CIFS share from one storage pool to another storage pool.

In this case we are migrating from clar_performance to clarata_archive.  (How I wish lun migrations were supported!  )

Celerra replicator is an option (it's licensed) however when I form the connection and do the migrate then switchover it marks:

Original Filesystem R/O (Expected)

Destination Filesystem R/W (Expected)

However...I need to delete and recreate the share which is somewhat of a manual process.

Also, when it does the migration it puts it on server_2 instead of the vdm that it is attached to.

Details:

NS-480 Running 5.6  Replicator V2

All Cifs shares are served from VDM2

No other VDMS exist.

I've read up on a few other options toyed with in this forum, but I really want to make this as easy and less steps as possible without having to resort to the command line if I can...

Rather than robocopying over things wouldn't it make sense that a Local Replication doing a switchover just work?

I have not tried creating say a 'VDM3' and told Replicator to use that instead of server_2 however I'm afraid I'll come up with the same results of deleting and adding the share back..

Anybody have thoughts?  Pointers?

THANKS!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 17:00

i know some folks on here are just in love with replicator but if i were doing what you are trying to do i would simply use fs_copy/nas_copy to do these steps:

1. Create destination file system with rawfs file system.

nas_fs -name fs52 -type rawfs -create samesize=fs46 pool=clarata_archive

2. Mount destination file system read only

server_mount server_3 -option ro fs52 /dmx3

3. Create first ckpt of source file system

fs_ckpt fs46 -name fs46_ckpt1 –Create

4. Copy first ckpt of file system to destination file system

fs_copy -start fs46_ckpt1 fs52 -option convert=no

5. Create second ckpt of source file system

fs_ckpt fs46 -name fs46_ckpt2 –Create

6. Copy incremental changes between first checkpoint and second checkpoint to destination file system

fs_copy -start fs46_ckpt2 fs52 -fromfs fs46_ckpt1

7. permanently umount and delete migration checkpoints (fs46_ckpt1 and fs46_ckpt2)

nas_fs -delete fs46_ckpt1 -o umount=yes

nas_fs -delete fs46_ckpt2 -o umount=yes

8. permantely umount fs 46

server_umount server_3 -perm fs46

9. permanently umount fs 52 from its temporary mount point

server_umount server_3 -perm fs52

10. mount fs52 with old moutnpoint

54 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 12:00

Thanks Dynamox...  I love TESTING before production work.

Well as it turns out in my lab on my NS-120 I did some 'commandlining' with Replicator V2 and got it to work.  What concerns me from some of the 'searched' solutions is this:

Setup replication session on loopback interface to the appropriate disk pool....

I waited until replications were finished/sync'd

Renamed both Filesystems from testfs to testfs_orig and testfs_replica1 to testfs

Stopped Replication  ** this is the part that concerns me...  testfs_orig is still mounted R/W after this command...Am I missing something I should do before removing the replication?  I.E. do a switchover in the GUI or something?

$ nas_replicate -delete testfs_rep -mode both
OK

Umount both file systems:

$ server_umount server_2 -p -Force testfs_orig 

**(needed to pass -Force option because mount was in a VDM)
$ server_umount server_2 -p testfs
server_2 : done

Then I mounted the filesystem in the GUI under mounts and everything appears OK

Can someone confirm/deny if I need to do anything before I delete the replication session?  I.E. switchover so that old becomes R/O and new becomes R/W...

Thanks!

Brian

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 24th, 2012 20:00

yes, you need to switchover ..source fs becomes r/o and target becomes r/w and then delete replication.

54 Posts

February 24th, 2012 20:00

Thanks again.  I'm gonna try it out in the lab tomorrow morning on a NS-120 I have before going into production but I think that was the 'missing step'.

There is a document on this community highlighting everything above and it is missing the switchover part...  I should probably comment on that doc too after I verify in the lab.

February 28th, 2012 23:00

Simply to offer another view, maybe the following post will help also:

https://community.emc.com/message/584859#584859

No Events found!