Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2015 15:00

Boot LUN migration.

Hello everyone,

We want to move our Boot LUNs from CX to VNX, I've read that the best option to do this is SAN Copy but I have a couple of questions, hope you can help me out.

1. Is there a list of requirements to use SAN Copy?

2. Does SAN Copy interrupt the service while doing the copy to the destination LUN?

Thanks in advance.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 8th, 2015 17:00

1) depends if you are going to push from CX to VNX or pull from VNX

2) nope, SAN Copy will not interrupt production service. You might want to throttle it at first to make sure it does not cause unacceptable latencies on the host.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 12th, 2015 14:00

nas_db, datamovers ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 12th, 2015 19:00

with pull it's always Full, system will need to be down during the entire process. If you were to get SANCopy enabler for your CX, you would be able to push and perform first full while the system is up and running and only shutdown the system for final cutover. Much shorter downtime window if you ask me.  Talk to your sales team, since you are migration to another EMC product they will take care of you and help you with the enabler.

5 Posts

January 12th, 2015 19:00

Thank you for your answers. We already have SAN copy enabler installed in the VNX, I think we are going with the "Pull" option, now, What would you recommend us to use Full or Incremental?

I know that it would take some downtime because of the cutover of the lun, but in case you recommend Incremental SAN Copy, is there downtime requiered to use Incremental SAN Copy?

Thanks in advance.

127 Posts

January 13th, 2015 06:00

Boot Lun migration in celerra forum had me think in the lines on migrating celerra boot Luns from CX to VNX. ignore my post.

No Events found!