Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2015 09:00

CIFS Server Problems after code upgrade (7.1.79-8)

VNX 7500 (Agent Rev:  7.32.30 (3.18))

So, had an interesting weekend.  Put new CIFS server into production - tested - all was good.  This was 2 AM on Sat.  At around noon or shortly after EMC (working with others on my team) did a code upgraded.  I never tested my new server after the upgrade and long story short my new CIFS server is no longer working.  You can connect to the server, see and shares see the folders BUT you cannot open any file or create any new files (reports Internal Error).  Also, turns out of the 5 virtual CIFS servers we have ALL but 1 have the same problem.  Fortunately the other servers that are not working on NOT production yet.  The 1 production we have is working.  Anyway, opened a case with EMC but they've not yet been able to help.

Throwing this out to the community to see if anyone might have some helpful suggestions or tips.  AV is turned off.  I tried various things and even created a brand new CIFS server (minus the network interface...used existing interface) but it still has this problem.

TIA for any help!

MJ

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 10:00

what's the error message when you try to open a share on one of the "troubled" CIFS serves ? All file systems are mounted i  assume ?

1.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 10:00

MJ - do you have any "interesting" messages in the server_log output?  Specifically, SMB errors?  Have you looked at the output from server_cifs -option audit on both the working and failed CIFS servers?  Anything interesting there?

Odds are, you'll need EMC support to have a look at a few network traces or other output.

Let us know how it goes!

Karl

8.6K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 12:00

This is the kind of problem where its warranted to open a service request

I assume you have already looked at the release notes if the mention any changes that could be related

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

A quick update.  EMC finally disabled the CEPP service and the problem went away.  We use Symantec SPE for AV and NTP for Quota and Audit management so not sure which of these might be the problem.  I had no involvement with either the AV or NTP setup/config so I'm trying to get up to speed so I can make sense of it all.

Thanks for the responses.  The error was "Internal Error" when trying to read or write to all but one of our CIFS.  I'm thinking that maybe we only configured this (non problematic) CIFS server for use by the NTP software - this one server did not exhibit the problem but all other virtual servers did.  I just don't know enough about our setup yet to make any useful comments or observations.

Thanks.

MJ

No Events found!