Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2008 11:00

Celerra NDMP with TSM and EDL

I desire to setup a NDMP backup environment for Celerra NAS shares. Plan is to use TSM v5.3 (running on AIX 5.3) as the NDMP client, the Celerra Datamover(Dart 5.5) as the NDMP server with accessible VTL units on an EDL via SAN as the backup storage media.

Has anyone done this specific setup and could share their experience and summarize the setup requirements.

this would NOT be a 3-way NDMP backup, as I want to access the VTL units via FC SAN, I believe this is referred to as a 'local' NDMP backup.

Any help is appreciated.

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2008 07:00

Please ensure that the Target WWN of the EDL port is selected in the zone configuration while zoning the data mover AUX port to EDL. The same EDL port can be used as Initiator or Target - in this case, it will be target. While zoning EDL to Physical Tape library - it will be an initiator.

Also, verify with the EDL person whether the NAS Data mover has been configured as a SAN client properly and the Tape drives on EDL are assigned to the SAN Client.

In other words, please ensure that the data mover AUX port is visible to the EDL.

If you can't probe any tape device on the data mover, it may be either a EDL configuration issue or a Fiber connectivity issue.

My 2 cents :) - and sorry for jumping into this conversation late.

Thanks,
Sandip

8.6K Posts

May 14th, 2008 09:00

yes, expecially if you have a gateway Celerra make sure they connect and zone the AUX ports of the data mover for the tape drives

Thats an easy mistake to make since the ports to connect to the SAN for Clariion/Symmetrix are already there - but we definitely do NOT support connecting tape drives to the BE ports

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 14th, 2008 10:00

More info based on previous questions
Library I am emulatng?
TSM : Library Type: SCSI Drive: EDL-T9940B-200004 ECARTRIDGE
EDL: Vendor ID: STK Product ID: L700 Slots: 678 Drives: 20
Is everything Zoned Correctly? Yes - Celerra HBA AUX0 (HBA 2) zoned to EDL port

Did I see the Celerra HBA Login to the EDL console? I Yes - you can see the datamover HBA

Was it configured as a client? San Client YES - and drives assigned to the client

Was it assigned to a virtual library? DM3 YES
Am I sharing virtual library within TSM and Celerra DataMovers? Yes - that is the plan

do a server_devconfig server_3 -p -s -n
No devices on any chain

I'l attempt the shot-in-the-dark reboot the dm method later this week

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 14th, 2008 12:00

Is the robotics shared between TSM and datamover? No

What we plan to do is option 1 Share drives between TSM and datamovers, while robotics is controlled by TSM

We reviewed the EDL config again... looks fine.. the dm's have been added as SAN clients and assigned drives... but Celerra is not detecting them

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2008 12:00

the virtual library you have defined in EDL ..is robotics and drives are shared between TSM server and datamover ? Robotics can not be shared between TSM and datamover, you have two choices:

1) you can share drives between TSM and datamover, while robotics is controlled by TSM
2) you can present drives and robotics strictly to datamover and let datamover control robotics, so basically you create a dedicated virtual library strictly for NDMP backups.

you can go with option one as it's the easiest but keep in mind that even then virtual tapes can not be shared for datamover backups and regular open systems backups because in TSM you will need to define a storage pool specifically for datamover and its type is celerradump ...hence you will not be able to put any open systems data on it.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2008 13:00

i am sorry if i missed it ..what type of drives are you emulating ?

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2008 13:00

It has been a while since I did my last CDL (now EDL) configuration - but I remember there was a checkbox to be selected while configuring SAN Client in case the client is a Celerra. Is it still there and checked?

I hope you are working with EMC guys on the configuration issue at the same time while we are discussing here in the forum.

Regards,
Sandip

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 15th, 2008 08:00

yeah ..those are supported. Weird stuff ...let's see if reboot helps.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 15th, 2008 08:00

emulating 9940b drives

and yes the Celerra checkbox is still there and yes it has been checked

Thank you all for your guidance, by the way ! your continued guidance is very helpful !
I've opened a case w/ EMC and I still plan on rebooting a datamover.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 15th, 2008 12:00

anybody else using that port on EDL ?

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 15th, 2008 12:00

I have some progress to report..

one of my three datamovers.. ( just got this one zoned in last night) has now discovered a tape unit, I've added it in

jbox1 c96t0l0 jbox STK L700 3.05
tape2 c96t0l1 tape STK T9940B 1.32.427

there is only one difference between it and the other two datamovers that I've been unable to discover tape devices from.. it's that those two dm's are zoned to a different EDL SP port... as stated before they are seen by the EDL and SAN clients have bee added

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

May 15th, 2008 13:00

yes, just as other things are using the same EDL port for the successfully discovered DM

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

September 11th, 2008 14:00

wanted to follow up on my EDL VTU connectivity to the remaining 2 datamovers. It was discovered that the EDL ports they were zoned to, were not defined as 'targets' , even though I was assured they were when this all began. So, all is good with connectivity, thanks to you all for your help with that !

Now, my issues revolve around TSM .. which we have now upgraded to 5.4. A backup and full restored worked well... very speedy. But, for selective restores, It apears that TSM cannot recognize the Windows perspective of a file share.. particularly the fact that we have DFS.

Does anyone have an environment with TSM backing up NAS CIFS shares with DFS ? another thing discovered is that when restoring a folder or share, it takes a long, long time.

1.5K Posts

No issues my friend :) - I can understand your situation and the pain to get the issues resolved.
However, truly appreciate your effort to keep us updated.
Hopefully someone will be able to help you on the TSM question you have.
Cheers :D
Sandip

1.5K Posts

Thanks for the update - this is exactly what I suspected and mentioned in my very first reply to this post (page 2) that ensure that the EDL ports are configured as Target as the same port can be an initiator also - trick is while selecting the WWN.

However, I am not having any TSM experience so will keep my mouth shut (sorry keyboard ;) ) .

Thanks,
Sandip
No Events found!