Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 2nd, 2013 08:00

Celerra Performance trending ?

Hello everyone,

Q: What are EMC customers using to integrate Sym/Celerra performance data into 3rd party performance monitoring/trending applications ? Is everyone really writing scripts to get to this data ?

I have been and EMC customer for some time and have been waiting for EMC to support an SNMP mib or API that would allow integration of 3rd party performance trending but have been forced to use and re-write scripts as features change. I know I can purchase EMC tools and products to track this data but that doesn't help me integrate it with the NOC's NMS. We already invested in a solution that can monitor Cisco, NetApp,WebServices, SOAP, REST,XML..   and anything else but EMC.

Has anyone else solved this problem ?

1.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 13:00

EMC has always supported the basic monitoring of VNX and Celerra with traditional MIBs.  As far back as my old NS700G, I could get SNMP traps delivered to HP OpenView for a variety of hardware alerts.

The problem you're trying to solve - getting performance data - doesn't seem to be one EMC is going to "open the kimono" for.  As your other posts noted, the XML API provides more hooks into the system, but it hasn't resulted in more third-party support.  EMC-sold tools, such as VNX M&R and the Watch4net suite utilize those hooks well and get more of the data you want, but don't expose them to third party applications well - if at all.

With so many enterprises going to virtual environments, fewer and fewer people seem interested in getting "raw" performance data from the NAS or SAN array - they want the performance data from the vSphere end of things.  Lots of folks are implementing vCOPS with vSphere, and that's their defacto source of performance.  EMC Storage Analytics integrates nicely in vCOPs and gives great performance detail on the array.  We opted to install SolarWinds instead of ESA, but I intend to get it bundled into a future purchase and really compare the two.

Most customers I've worked with have chosen to rely on VNX M&R or SolarWinds for performance trending/reporting, and SNMP traps for alerting.  If all you want is hardware alerting, the SNMP traps are actually quite good at it.

No Events found!