Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 07:00

Cifs share failover

I have two sites. Each site has a NS20 and the cifs data is replicated from each site to the other. Shouldn't this work as a failover? If I take down the san at site A shouldn't my users still be able to access data because it was replicated to the other site? Here is what happened:

Yesterday we gracefully shut down SAN1, and it did not failover to SAN2. I think it should have failed over to SAN2.  Does CIFs shares require a manual failover? I thought that this would be the situation if I had Replication Manager? This would then involve moving the shares from a read only to a read/write mountable state.  Is this correct? If the failover of the CIFs shares should occur automatically, then they failed yesterday.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

LeNay

147 Posts

February 24th, 2010 07:00

Celerra Replicator failover between two Celerra systems isnt automatic - you need to failover your VDMs and file systems using fs_replicator or the Celerra Manager GUI

take a look at the Using Replicator V2 manual for an explanation of the concepts

Replication Manager doesnt help you there - first it doesnt deal with CIFS shares and secondly it doesnt do automatic failover

Rainer

2 Posts

February 24th, 2010 08:00

Thank you for your answer. We are using V2, but I thought that the failover was automatic. I didn't mean that we use Replication Manager for Cifs. I know that it is for iscsi. I just thought that the manual failover was for RM and not V2. But thank you for clearing it up.

Thanks,

LeNay

No Events found!