Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2013 09:00

DNS client unable to connect to name server

I am receiving an error message in my Celerra Manager (message ID 81880547329). Here are the details:

Brief Description: Slot 4: The DNS client is unable to connect to name server xxx.xx.xx.xx : Connection timed out

Full Description: The DNS client is unable to contact a DNS server. This may happen when the Data Mover cannot reach the peer DNS server because of network problems.

I am also receiving the same error message for "Slot 2".

I have been experiencing some issues on my primary DNS server but I have a secondary DNS server. How would I configure "Slot 4" and "Slot 2" to connect to my secondary DNS server instead until I resolve the issues on my primary DNS server?

1K Posts

February 6th, 2013 10:00

In Unisphere go to Storage, CIFS. Select the DNS tab. Select the DNS entry you have and add DNS server IPs. Seperate the IPs with commas.

Hope this helps.

February 6th, 2013 23:00

Galvatron88 wrote:

I am receiving an error message in my Celerra Manager (message ID 81880547329). Here are the details:

If you are still running Celerra Manager, navigate as follows:

1) Select "Network" in the tree hierarchy along the left

2) Select the "DNS Settings" tab

The same information (change in one location it "updates" the other) is also available from "CIFS" along the left, then the same "DNS Settings" tab.

Not sure if you also are using the same DNS server for the Control Station, but it is a separate configuration as follows:

1) Login as "root"

2) Select "Control Station" in the tree hierarchy along the left

3) Then select "Control Station Properties"

While it seems you are replacing the current entry, but as already noted the separator is a comma.  Just as a quick note, you can always hover your mouse over the label and a popup will remind you of the same.

1.4K Posts

February 7th, 2013 22:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer.

Remembering to mark the question Answered helps others with similar problems and awarding points helps motivate people to take the time answer you questions.

- Ankit

812 Posts

February 8th, 2013 01:00

As Chris and Ernes mentioned, you can change the DNS settings from network properties. BTW can you please let us know,

Are you facing the same issue with DM_3 ?

Is there network configured (Cge 0 , Cge 1 etc...) for the DM_2 and DM_4 ?

February 8th, 2013 02:00

Please check nas_checkup reports Domain Controller connectivity

Check the status of

server_cifssupport server_x -pingdc

server_cifssupport server_2 -pingdc -compname nascifs02 -dc DOMCON03 -verbose

Check primus emc228654 and emc147146.

26 Posts

February 25th, 2013 11:00

Okay here is an update to this situation. I have recently been experiencing issues with one of my Windows 08 Domain Controllers (DC01). This DC was serving as a DNS server (.10) along with two other DCs (.11 and .12) for all Data Movers

I recently had to remove DC01 from my domain do to system issues. In my Celerra Manager I have all 3 IP addresses from all 3 DCs in my DNS settings (.10, .11, .12). When I look at the DNS settings for my Data Movers (2, 3, 4) I see that each one is configured with the following settings:

Data mover:          DNS Servers               Protocol

server_x              xxx.xx.xx.10 (DC01)    tcp

server_x              xxx.xx.xx.11 (DC02)    udp

Since I have removed DC01 (.10) I have been receiving the following message ID 81880547329:

"Brief Description: Slot x The DNS client is unable to connect to name server xxx.xx.xx.xx : Connection timed out

Full Description: The DNS client is unable to contact a DNS server. This may happen when the Data Mover cannot reach the peer DNS server because of network problems."

When I attempt to change the DNS settings to have the Data Movers use DC03 (.12) instead of DC01 (.10) for tcp I receive the following error message id 13421842538:

"An invalid IP address was specified."

I want to only utilize the DNS from DC02 (.11) and DC03 (.12) until I rebuild and re-deploy DC01 (.10). How should I go about "cleaning up" this DNS issue? Hopefully I have explained the issue clear enough for some assistance.

February 25th, 2013 22:00

Galvatron88,

So in the GUI you are having issues updating the DNS server for data mover 2.  If the GUI is misbehaving, try instead via the CLI:

usage: server_dns { | ALL }

[ [ -protocol {tcp | udp} ] domainname { ip_addr, ... } ]

| [ -delete domainname ]

| [ -option {start | stop | flush | dump } ]

Then once you have updated it, to test via the data mover that DNS is working, try pinging something by name as follows:

server_ping server_2

26 Posts

February 26th, 2013 08:00

Christopher

While these commands were helpful, this did not resolve my issue. I want to be able to use two different DNS servers for tcp and udp transmissions.

For example:

Data mover:          DNS Servers               Protocol

server_x                xxx.xx.xx.11               tcp

server_x                xxx.xx.xx.12               udp

How can I set this up so one DNS IP is used for tcp and another DNS IP is used for udp?

February 26th, 2013 10:00

Ahhh... okay I see now what you are trying and more importantly what isn't working for you.

So for the same data mover you want for the same DNS Name, 2 DNS server entries but one with TCP and one with UDP.  Unfortunately, afaik you don't have that granularity.

1) For instance, you can't have 2 separate entries for the same DNS Name (on the same data mover).  So you can't have:

domain.xyz > IP1 > tcp

domain.xyz > IP2 > udp

2) Also, when creating a single DNS Name entry, while you can specifiy more than one IP, you don't have the granularity to use a different protocol for each

domain.xyz

> IP1 > tcp

> IP2 > udp

GUI or CLI won't let you do either of the above, but of course you have already figured that out.

Can you move this discussion instead to the following Community?

1) In the upper-right corner you'll see a "Move discussion" link. 

2) Select:

ECN > Support Community > Celerra Support Forum

4.5K Posts

February 26th, 2013 11:00

Moved this discussion to ECN > Support Community > Celerra Support Forum

glen

26 Posts

February 26th, 2013 11:00

Christopher,

Once again thank you for the reply. I'm not trying to be contradictory but my data movers were in fact at one point set up with two different servers on the same DNS domain. It was configured as such:

DNS Domain:               Data Mover:                DNS Server:               Protocol:

mydomain.abc             server_2                      IP1                            tcp

mydomain.abc             server_2                      IP2                            udp

It was configured this way for each of my data movers. I did not configure this initially. I inherited the management of the NAS from a previous administrator, so I was not present when it was originally configured; ergo I do not know how it was configured originally but it has been done in the past. I had to remove the server with IP1 due to system issues. That is why I am experiencing DNS client errors ("slot 2: the DNS client is unable to connect to the name server IP1")and that is why I am trying to configure my third server to accomodate tcp transmissions.

If this discussion still needs to be moved, then I will move it.

Thank you for the insight and assistance.                 

February 26th, 2013 14:00

Okay, good to know. Then I will try later tonight in the lab.

Now that it is relocated to the proper location in the forums, let's see what others suggest.

26 Posts

February 27th, 2013 09:00

Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Any help would be very much appreciated. 

4.5K Posts

March 5th, 2013 13:00

From the Release notes on page 75

EMC® VNX® Operating Environment For File

Version 7.1.65.8

Release Notes

P/N 300-013-480

REV 04

February 22, 2013

Table 6. Naming services guidelines

Guideline/Specification

Maximum tested value

comment

Number of DNS domains

3 - WebUI

unlimited – CLI

Three DNS servers per Data Mover is the limit if using WebUI. There is no limit when using the command line interface (CLI).

glen

March 5th, 2013 22:00

In an effort to reinvigorate this for Galvatron88, he is trying to configure DNS for the same domain name and the same data mover with one IP using TCP and another using UDP.  afaik, it isn't possible and out of curiosity spent a few minutes trying and haven't been able to successfully do so; however, he states that it was done for him previously as he presented in the matrix above.

server_dns { |ALL}

[[-protocol {tcp|udp}] { ,...}]

| [-delete ]

| [-option {start|stop|flush|dump}]

1) The command expects the entire entry (per domainname and data mover) to be entered at the same time

- running the command a second time won't append but replaces

2) To do as requested it is almost as if it would need to accept (but it doesn't):

server_dns server_2 -protocol tcp mydomain.abc -protocol udp mydomain.abc <= invalid syntax

No Events found!